I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Kayode Ayodele Williams, M.B.A., M.B.B.S., M.D.
Medical Director : Blaustein Pain Treatment Center
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Languages: English, Yoruba
Research Interests: Mechanisms and efficacy of dorsal column stimulation in neuropathic pain, peripheral neuropathies and peripheral vascular disease; Translational research in neuromodulation; Interventional pain medicine; Medical management consulting; Acute in-patient and revenue cycle management; Physician practice management; Specialty practice development; Business of medicine ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-7246
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-7246
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6353
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - White Marsh
Appointment Phone: 443-442-2645
4924 Campbell Boulevard
Nottingham, MD 21236 map
Dr. Kayode Williams is an associate professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and an assistant professor of business at the Carey School of Business at Johns Hopkins University.
Dr. Williams earned his medical degree from the College of Medicine University of Lagos. Following training at renowned medical institutions such as the Manchester Royal Infirmary, Dr. Williams completed his residency in anesthesiology in England in 1995. Subsequently, he became a Fellow of Faculty of Anesthesia, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (FFARCSI). Dr. Williams joined the University of Michigan in 1997, completed a second residency training in anesthesiology in 2001, a fellowship in pain medicine in 2002, and received an M.B.A. from the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business in 2004. Dr. Williams joined the Division of Pain Medicine in the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in 2005 to develop new private practice venture, and to extend the division’s reach beyond the academic milieu and into the community. From 2009 - 2011, Dr. Williams served as the medical director at the Blaustein Pain Treatment Center at Johns Hopkins.
His research focuses on translational research in neuromodulation, with emphasis on the mechanisms and efficacy of spinal cord stimulation in neuropathic pain, peripheral neuropathies and peripheral vascular disease. His interest in the business of medicine is prompted by the desire to enhance value proposition for physician groups and hospitals through effective resource management. Dr. Williams’s business focus is on specialty practice development, acute in-patient revenue cycle management and medical management consulting.
- Medical Director : Blaustein Pain Treatment Center
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MBBS, University of Lagos (1984)
- Joyce Green Hospital / Anesthesiology (1992)
- Hope Hospital of Salford Salford Royal NHS Trust / Anesthesiology (1994)
- University Of Manchester / Anesthesiology (1995)
- University of Michigan Health System / Anesthesiology (2002)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (2003)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Pain Medicine (2004)
Research & Publications
Dr. Williams focuses on translational research in neuromodulation, with emphasis on the mechanisms and efficacy of spinal cord stimulation in neuropathic pain, peripheral neuropathies and peripheral vascular disease.
Technology Expertise KeywordsAnesthesiology
Clinical Trial KeywordsSpinal Cord Stimulation in the Treatment of Critical Non-Reconstructible Critical Leg Ischemia, Spinal Cord Stimulation in the Treatment of Painful Diabetic Neuropathy
- Marie N. Hanna, MD, Ashlea D. Barrett, MPH, Kayode A. Williams, MD, Peter Pronovost, MD. "Does Patient Perception of Pain Control Affect Patient Satisfaction Across Units in a Tertiary Teaching Hospital?" Am J Med Qual. 2012 Sep-Oct;27(5):411-6.
- Williams K.A., Marlis Gonzalez-Fernandez, Sayeh Hamzehzadeh, Indy Wilkinson, Michael A. Erdek, Anthony Plunkett,Scott Griffith, Matthew Crooks,Thomas Larkin, and Steven P. Cohen. "A Multi-center Analysis Evaluating Factors Associated with Spinal Cord Stimulation Outcome in Chronic Pain Patients." Pain Med. 2011 Aug;12(8):1142-53. doi: 10.1111/j.15264637.2011.01184.x. Epub 2011 Jul 12.
- Olaniyan OEP, Brown C, Williams KA. "Utilization Review, Getting it Right." Physician Exec 2011 May-Jun;37(3):50-54.
- Cohen SP, Williams K.A, Kurihara C, Nguyen C, Shields C, Kim P, Griffith SR, Larkin TM, Williams N, Strassels S. "Multicenter, randomized comparative cost-effectiveness study comparing 0, 1 and 2 diagnostic medial branch (facet joint nerve) block treatment paradigms before lumbar facet radiofrequency denervation." Anesthesiology.2010 aug;113(2):395-405.
- Olaniyan OEP, Brown C, Williams KA. "Effectively Managing Your Medical Necessity and Notification Denials." Healthc Financ Manage." 2009 Aug; 63 (8): 62-7.
- Cohen SP, Strassels SA, Foster L, Marvel J, Williams K.A., Crooks M, Gross A, Kurihara C, Nguyen C, Williams N. "A Multi-Center, Randomized Controlled Study Comparing Fluoroscopically-Guided and Blind Injections for Trochanteric Bursitis." BMJ. 2009 Apr14; 338: b1088.doi:10.1136/bmj.b1088.
- Cohen SP, Zahid BH, Kraemer JJ, Dragovich A, Williams KA, Stream BS, Sireci BS, Mcknight G, Hurley RW. "Factors Predicting Success and Failure for Cervical Facet Radiofrequency Denervation : A Multi-Center Analysis." Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine; Nov 2007;32:495-503.
- Cohen SP, Sireci A, Wu CL, Larkin TM, Williams KA, Hurley RW. "Pulsed radiofrequency of the dorsal root ganglia is superior to pharmacotherapy or pulsed radiofrequency of the intercostals nerves in the treatment of chronic post surgical thoracic pain." Pain Physician 2006; Jul: 9 (3):227-35.
- Hurley RW, Cohen SP, Williams KA, Rowlingson AJ, Wu CL. "The analgesic effects of perioperative gabapentin on postoperative pain: a meta-analysis." Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine. 2006. May-June; 31(3): 237-47.
- Sharma, A., Williams, K. A., Raja, S.N., Advances in the treatment of complex regional pain syndrome: recent insights on a perplexing disease. Current Opinion in Anesthesiology 2006, 19; 566-572.
- Lieberman, J., Williams, K.A., Rosenberg, A., Optimum Head Rotation for Internal Jugular Vein Cannulation when Relying on External Landmarks. Anesthesia and Analgesia 2004; 99: 982-988.
Activities & Honors
- Chair, Early Career Psychiatrists Committee, Maryland Psychiatric Society, 2009
- American Academy of Pain Medicine, 2008
- American College of Physician Executives, 2003
- American Society of Anesthesiologists, 1998
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians, 2003
- International Anesthesia Research Society, 1998
- International Neuromodulation Society, 2004
- Manchester Medical Society, United Kingdom, 1995
- New York academy of Medicine, 2010
- Reviewer, Pain Medicine
- Reviewer, Anesthesia and Analgesia