I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Deidra Candice Crews, M.D., Sc.M.
Associate Vice Chair for Diversity and Inclusion, Department of Medicine
Associate Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Chronic Kidney Disease, Dialysis, Epidemiology, Health Services Research, Nephrology
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-955-0670
4940 Eastern Avenue Baltimore, MD 21224
Phone: 410-550-2820 | Fax: 410-550-7950
Dr. Crews is a board-certified nephrologist. She is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Nephrology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and is Associate Vice Chair for Diversity and Inclusion in the Department of Medicine. She holds faculty appointments with the School of Nursing, the Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, the Center on Aging and Health, and the Center for Health Equity, where she is Associate Director for Research Development. Her core area of research addresses disparities in the care and outcomes of chronic kidney disease. She has examined the contribution of social determinants of health, including poverty and access to healthful foods, to disparities in kidney disease. Her work in end-stage renal disease includes studies of the optimal timing and setting of dialysis initiation among vulnerable groups, and patient preparation for the start of renal replacement therapy.
Dr. Crews has received numerous awards for her research contributions addressing disparities in chronic kidney disease and hypertension, including the 2018 Johns Hopkins University President’s Frontier Award--a $250,000 award granted to a single faculty scholar who is on the cusp of transforming their field. She is a member of the National Academy of Medicine’s (NAM) Emerging Leaders in Health and Medicine and was the inaugural Gilbert S. Omenn Anniversary Fellow of the NAM.
She is founding director of the Doctoral Diversity Program, which is a research-intensive post-baccalaureate program of the Johns Hopkins Initiative for Careers in Science and Medicine.
Among her national leadership roles, Dr. Crews currently serves as Chair of the American Society of Nephrology Diversity and Inclusion Committee and is a member of the Nephrology Board of the American Board of Internal Medicine.
Dr. Crews received her undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and her medical degree from Saint Louis University. A graduate of the Osler Medical Training Program, she completed nephrology fellowship and a master’s in clinical epidemiology degree at Johns Hopkins.
- Associate Vice Chair for Diversity and Inclusion, Department of Medicine
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- Aging and Health, Center on
- Johns Hopkins Center to Eliminate Cardiovascular Health Disparities
- Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research
- MD, Saint Louis University School of Medicine (2003)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (2006)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Nephrology (2009)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Nephrology (2009)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Tanjala S Purnell; Priscilla Auguste; Deidra C Crews; Julio Lamprea-Montealegre; Temitope Olufade; Raquel Greer; Patti Ephraim; Johanna Sheu; Daniel Kostecki; Neil R Powe; et al. Comparison of life participation activities among adults treated by hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, and kidney transplantation: a systematic review. American journal of kidney diseases : the official journal of the National Kidney Foundation 2013;62(5):953-73. 2013
- Deidra C Crews; Teresa Pfaff; Neil R Powe; Socioeconomic factors and racial disparities in kidney disease outcomes. Seminars in nephrology 2013;33(5):468-75. 2013
- Nicole DePasquale; Patti L Ephraim; Jessica Ameling; Lapricia Lewis-Boyér; Deidra C Crews; Raquel C Greer; Hamid Rabb; Neil R Powe; Bernard G Jaar; Luis Gimenez; et al. Selecting renal replacement therapies: what do African American and non-African American patients and their families think others should know? A mixed methods study. BMC nephrology 2013;14():9. 2013
- Raquel C Greer; Deidra C Crews; L Ebony Boulware; Challenges perceived by primary care providers to educating patients about chronic kidney disease. Journal of renal care 2012;38(4):174-81. 2012
- Deidra C Crews; William M McClellan; David A Shoham; Liyan Gao; David G Warnock; Suzanne Judd; Paul Muntner; Edgar R Miller; Neil R Powe; Low income and albuminuria among REGARDS (Reasons for Geographic and Racial Differences in Stroke) study participants. American journal of kidney diseases : the official journal of the National Kidney Foundation 2012;60(5):779-86. 2012
- Johanna Sheu; Patti L Ephraim; Neil R Powe; Hamid Rabb; Mikiko Senga; Kira E Evans; Bernard G Jaar; Deidra C Crews; Raquel C Greer; L Ebony Boulware; African American and non-African American patients' and families' decision making about renal replacement therapies. Qualitative health research 2012;22(7):997-1006. 2012
- Deidra C Crews; Raquel C Greer; Jeffrey J Fadrowski; Michael J Choi; David Doggett; Jodi B Segal; Kemi A Fawole; Pammie R Crawford; L Ebony Boulware; Setting an agenda for comparative effectiveness systematic reviews in CKD care. BMC nephrology 2012;13():74. 2012
- Patti L Ephraim; Neil R Powe; Hamid Rabb; Jessica Ameling; Priscilla Auguste; LaPricia Lewis-Boyer; Raquel C Greer; Deidra C Crews; Tanjala S Purnell; Bernard G Jaar; et al. The providing resources to enhance African American patients' readiness to make decisions about kidney disease (PREPARED) study: protocol of a randomized controlled trial. BMC nephrology 2012;13():135. 2012
- Jessica M Ameling; Priscilla Auguste; Patti L Ephraim; LaPricia Lewis-Boyer; Nicole DePasquale; Raquel C Greer; Deidra C Crews; Neil R Powe; Hamid Rabb; L Ebony Boulware; Development of a decision aid to inform patients' and families' renal replacement therapy selection decisions. BMC medical informatics and decision making 2012;12():140. 2012
- L Ebony Boulware; Navdeep Tangri; Patti L Ephraim; Julia J Scialla; Stephen M Sozio; Deidra C Crews; Tariq Shafi; Dana C Miskulin; Jiannong Liu; Wendy St Peter; et al. Comparative effectiveness studies to improve clinical outcomes in end stage renal disease: the DEcIDE patient outcomes in end stage renal disease study. BMC nephrology 2012;13():167. 2012
- Deidra C Crews; Stephen M Sozio; Yongmei Liu; Josef Coresh; Neil R Powe; Inflammation and the paradox of racial differences in dialysis survival. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology : JASN 2011;22(12):2279-86. 2011
- Deidra C Crews; L Ebony Boulware; Ron T Gansevoort; Bernard G Jaar; Albuminuria: is it time to screen the general population? Advances in chronic kidney disease 2011;18(4):249-57. 2011
- Raquel C Greer; Lisa A Cooper; Deidra C Crews; Neil R Powe; L Ebony Boulware; Quality of patient-physician discussions about CKD in primary care: a cross-sectional study. American journal of kidney diseases : the official journal of the National Kidney Foundation 2011;57(4):583-91. 2011
- Vanessa Grubbs; Laura C Plantinga; Deidra C Crews; Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo; Rajiv Saran; Michael Heung; Priti R Patel; Nilka Ríos Burrows; Kristina L Ernst; Neil R Powe; et al. Vulnerable populations and the association between periodontal and chronic kidney disease. Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN 2011;6(4):711-7. 2011
- Laura C Plantinga; Kirsten Johansen; Deidra C Crews; Vahakn B Shahinian; Bruce M Robinson; Rajiv Saran; Nilka Ríos Burrows; Desmond E Williams; Neil R Powe; Association of CKD with disability in the United States. American journal of kidney diseases : the official journal of the National Kidney Foundation 2011;57(2):212-27. 2011
- Deidra C Crews; Neil R Powe; Blood pressure and mortality among ESRD patients: all patients are not created equal. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology : JASN 2010;21(11):1816-8. 2010
- Daniel J Brotman; Lori D Bash; Rehan Qayyum; Deidra Crews; Eric A Whitsel; Brad C Astor; Josef Coresh; Heart rate variability predicts ESRD and CKD-related hospitalization. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology : JASN 2010;21(9):1560-70. 2010
- Rita Rastogi Kalyani; Brady Stein; Ritu Valiyil; Rebecca Manno; Janet W Maynard; Deidra C Crews; Vitamin D treatment for the prevention of falls in older adults: systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2010;58(7):1299-310. 2010
- Deidra C Crews; Raquel F Charles; Michele K Evans; Alan B Zonderman; Neil R Powe; Poverty, race, and CKD in a racially and socioeconomically diverse urban population. American journal of kidney diseases : the official journal of the National Kidney Foundation 2010;55(6):992-1000. 2010
- Deidra C Crews; Laura C Plantinga; Edgar R Miller; Rajiv Saran; Elizabeth Hedgeman; Sharon H Saydah; Desmond E Williams; Neil R Powe; Prevalence of chronic kidney disease in persons with undiagnosed or prehypertension in the United States. Hypertension 2010;55(5):1102-9. 2010
- Laura C Plantinga; Deidra C Crews; Josef Coresh; Edgar R Miller; Rajiv Saran; Jerry Yee; Elizabeth Hedgeman; Meda Pavkov; Mark S Eberhardt; Desmond E Williams; et al. Prevalence of chronic kidney disease in US adults with undiagnosed diabetes or prediabetes. Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN 2010;5(4):673-82. 2010
- Deidra C Crews; Bernard G Jaar; Laura C Plantinga; Hania S Kassem; Nancy E Fink; Neil R Powe; Inpatient hemodialysis initiation: reasons, risk factors and outcomes. Nephron. Clinical practice 2010;114(1):c19-28. 2010
- Bernard G Jaar; Laura C Plantinga; Deidra C Crews; Nancy E Fink; Nasser Hebah; Josef Coresh; Alan S Kliger; Neil R Powe; Timing, causes, predictors and prognosis of switching from peritoneal dialysis to hemodialysis: a prospective study. BMC nephrology 2009;10():3. 2009
- Deidra C Crews; Bernard G Jaar; Racial differences in chronic kidney disease incidence and progression among individuals with HIV. Nature clinical practice. Nephrology 2008;4(12):652-3. 2008
Activities & Honors
- 1st Place, National Kidney Foundation, 2009
- Clinical Science Research Award, Marco Cabrera Poster Session of the Network of Minority Research Investigators, 2010
- W. Leigh Thompson Excellence in Research Award, Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine, 2011
- President’s Research Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Urban Health Institute, 2012
- Super Doctors Washington, The Washington Post Magazine, 2012
- Ernest Everett Just Award in Medical and Public Health Research on African American Health and Quality of Life, 2013
- Clinical Research Award, National Kidney Foundation (NKF) of Maryland Annual Scientific Session, 2013
- Community & Patient Services Committee “All-Star” Award, NKF of Maryland, 2013
- Frederick L. Brancati Excellence in Mentoring Award, Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine, 2016
- W. Lester Henry Award for Diversity and Access to Care, American College of Physicians, 2019
- President's Frontier Award, Johns Hopkins University, 2018
- American Society of Nephrology
- American College of Physicians
- National Kidney Foundation