I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Brian Thomas Garibaldi, M.D.
Director, Johns Hopkins Biocontainment Unit
Associate Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Spanish
Expertise: Acute Lung Injury (ALI), Interstitial Lung Disease, Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine
Research Interests: Resolution of acute lung injury
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Dr. Brian Thomas Garibaldi is assistant professor in the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, where he attends in the Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) and the Interstitial Lung Disease clinic. He is medical director of The Johns Hopkins Biocontainment Unit (BCU), a federally funded special pathogens treatment center. He is also the associate program director of the Osler Medical Residency Program, where he leads curriculum development and implementation.
In July 2015 Brian started the Advancing Bedside Cardiopulmonary Physical Exam Skills Program (ACE). ACE is the cornerstone of a larger bedside medicine program for internal medicine residents that has been shown to improve attitudes, confidence and skill in the physical exam.
In recognition of his innovative bedside teaching methods Brian was awarded the first inaugural Jeremiah A. Barondess fellowship in the clinical transaction through the New York Academy of Medicine in 2016. He is also a 2017 visiting scholar at the American Board of Medical Specialties. In 2017, he co-founded and became the first president of the Society of Bedside Medicine, an organization devoted to education, innovation and research on the role of the clinical encounter in 21st century medicine.
Brian grew up in New York City and graduated summa cum laude from Harvard College with a degree in biological anthropology. Before earning his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Brian spent a year studying flamenco and classical guitar in Spain as part of the John Finley Fellowship from Harvard College. He completed his internal medicine residency as well as pulmonary and critical care fellowship at Johns Hopkins. He also served as Chief Resident from 2008-2009.
- Director, Johns Hopkins Biocontainment Unit
- Associate Program Director, Osler Internal Medicine Residency Program
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Associate Professor of Physiology
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2004)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Medicine (2007)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pulmonary Medicine (2008)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pulmonary Medicine (2012)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Critical Care Medicine (2013)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2007)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Pulmonary Disease (2012)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Garibaldi BT, Kelen GD, Brower RG, Bova G, Ernst N, Reimers M, Langlotz R, Gimburg A, Iati M, Smith C, MacConnell S, James H, Lewin JL, Trexler P, Black MA, Lynch C, Clarke W, Marzinske MA, Sokoll L, Carroll KC, Parrish NM, Dionne K, Biddison ELD, Gwon HS, Sauer L, Hill P, Newton SM, Garrett MR, Miller RG, Perl TM, Maragakis LL. The Creation of a Biocontainment Unit at a Tertiary Care Hospital: The Johns Hopkins Medicine Experience. Annals of the American Thoracic Society, 2016 May; 13(5): 600-608. PMID: 27057583
Garibaldi BT, Reimers M, Ernst N, Bova G, Nowakowski E, Bukowski J, Ellis BC, Smith C, Sauer L, Dionne K, Carroll KC, Maragakis LL, Parrish NM. Validation of autoclave protocols for the successful decontamination of Category A medical waste generated from the care of patients with serious communicable diseases. J Clin Microbiol, 2017 Feb;55(2):545-551. PMID: 27927920
Garibaldi BT, Niessen T, Gelber AC, Clark B, Lee J, Madrazo JA, Manesh RS, Apfel A, Lau BD, Liu G, Canzoniero JV, Sperati CJ, Yeh HC, Brotman DJ, Traill TA, Cayea D, Durso SC, Stewart RW, Corretti MC, Kasper EK, Desai SV. A Novel Bedside Cardiopulmonary Physical Diagnosis Curriculum for Internal Medicine Postgraduate Training. BMC Medical Education, 2017 Oct; 17(182). PMID 28985729
Sauer LM, Drewry III D, Shaw-Saliba K, Therkorn J, Pilholski T, Rainwater-Lovett K, Garibaldi BT. A Novel Approach to Identify Potential Provider and Environmental Contamination in a Clinical Biocontainment Unit Using Aerosolized Pathogen Simulants. Health Security, 2018 Mar/Apr; 16(2). PMID 29624490
Garibaldi BT and Olson APJ. The Hypothesis Driven Physical Exam. Med Clin North Am. 2018 May;102(3). PMID: 29650065
Activities & Honors
- Fellow, American College of Physicians, American College of Physicians, 2017
- Fellow, New York Academy of Medicine, New York Academy of Medicine, 2016
- Jeremiah A. Barondess Fellowship in the Clinical Transaction, New York Academy of Medicine, 2016 - 2018
- Berkheimer Faculty Education Scholar Grant, Johns Hopkins Institute for Excellence in Education, 2016 - 2017
- Lisa J. Heiser Award for Junior Faculty Contribution in Education, Johns Hopkins Institute for Excellence in Education, 2016
- Maryland Hospital Association Distinguished Service Award, accepted on behalf of the Ebola Preparedness Team at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, Maryland Hospital Association, 2015
- W. Leigh Thompson Excellence in Research Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2012
- Daniel Baker, Jr. Award for resident most exemplifying the ideals of the Osler Medical Service, 2007
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2004
- Longcope Award for outstanding student in internal medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2004
- Summa cum laude, Harvard College, 1999
- John Finley Traveling Fellowship, Harvard College, 1999
- Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha Iota Chapter of Massachusetts, 1999
- Valedictorian, Hunter College High School, 1998
- Society of Bedside Medicine, 2017
- American College of Physicians, 2017
- American College of Chest Physicians, 2007
- American Thoracic Society, 2007
- Director, Biocontainment Unit, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2017
- Director, Genes to Society Program, Perdana University Graduate School of Medicine, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2013
- Co-President, Society of Bedside Medicine, 2017
- Associate Program Director, Osler Medical Residency Program, 2016