I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Esther Seunghee Oh, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Director, Johns Hopkins Memory and Alzheimer's Treatment Center
Associate Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Clinical Care of Older Adults, Cognitive Decline in Older Adults, Geriatric Medicine, Geriatric Psychiatry, Mood Disorders, Perioperative Care of Older Adults ...read more
Research Interests: Development of biomarkers for different stages of dementia, as markers of early detection as well as for markers of treatment response ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-6337
5200 Eastern Ave.
The Center for Transformative Geriatric Research, Mason F. Lord Building, Center Tower, Floor 7
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Esther Oh is an associate professor of medicine, pathology, and psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise include geriatric medicine, geriatric psychiatry, and mood disorders.
Dr. Oh also serves as the associate director of the Johns Hopkins Memory and Alzheimer’s Treatment Center.
Dr. Oh earned her M.D. from Chicago Medical School/University of Health Science. She completed her residency in internal medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago and performed a fellowship in geriatric medicine and gerontology at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
Her research interest is the development of biomarkers for different stages of dementia, as markers of early detection as well as for markers of treatment response.
Dr. Oh is certified in geriatrics and internal medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine. She is a member of the International College of Geriatric Psychoneuropharmacology and the Society of Neuroscience, among other organizations.
- Associate Director, Johns Hopkins Memory and Alzheimer's Treatment Center
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Pathology
- Joint Appointment in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Chicago Medical School/Univ of Hlth Science (1998)
- University of Illinois at Chicago / Internal Medicine (2002)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology (2005)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Geriatrics (2004)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2001)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Oh ES, Savonenko AV, King JF, Fangmark-Tucker SM, Rudow GL, Xu G, Borchelt DR, Troncoso JC, Amyloid precursor protein increases cortical neuron size in transgenic mice. Neurobiology of Aging, 2009; 30(8) 1238-44. PMID 18304698 PMCID 2796369
Oh E, Li M, Fafowora T, Inouye S, Chen C, Rosman L, Lyketsos C, Sieber F, Puhan M. Preoperative risk factors for postoperative delirium following hip fracture repair: A systematic review. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 2015; 30(9):900-910. PMID 25503071 PMCID 4465414
Oh ES,Marano CM, Leoutsakos JM, Lee RW, Rissman RA, Smith GS, Craft S, Lyketsos CG, Oral glucose tolerance testing to modulate plasma amyloid levels: A novel biomarker. Alzheimer's and Dementia: Diagnosis, Assessment & Disease Monitoring, the journal of the Alzheimer's Association. 2015 Sep; 1(3):311-315. PMID 26413562 PMCID 4578701
Oh ES, Sieber F, Leoutsakos JM, Inouye S, Lee HB, Sex differences in hip fracture surgery: preoperative risk factors of delirium and postoperative outcomes. J Am Geriatr Soc 2016 Aug;64(8):1616-21 PMID 27384742
Lee HB, Oldham M, Sieber F, Oh ES. Impact of Delirium After Hip Fracture Surgery on One-Year Mortality in Patients With or Without Dementia: A Case of Effect Modification. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2017 Mar;25(3):308-315, PMID 27838314
Activities & Honors
- American Geriatrics Society, 2001
- Christian Medical & Dental Associations, 1996
- International College of Geriatric Psychoneuropharmacology, 2010
- Society for Neuroscience, 2006
- Biologist Department of Molecular Cell Biology, American Type Culture Collection (ATCC), 1993 - 1994
- Investigator Clinical Core, Johns Hopkins Alzheimers Disease Research Center, 2007
- John A. Hartford Foundation Student Researcher Molecular Neurobiology Section, National Institute on Aging, 1990 - 1991
National Institutes of Health
- Student Researcher Department of Microbiology, Okayama University, 1991 - 1992
- Student Researcher Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, University of Rochester, 1990 - 1990
- Student Researcher National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, 1995 - 1995