I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Christine Lee Hann, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Oncology
Expertise: Lung Cancer, Medical Oncology
Research Interests: New drug development for lung cancer; Small cell and non-small cell lung cancer
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-955-8964
401 N. Broadway Baltimore, MD 21231
Christine L Hann, completed her MD and Ph.D. at Jefferson Medical College/Thomas Jefferson University follwed by an internal medicine residency at the University of Chicago Hospitals. Following a fellowship at Johns Hopkins University in Hematology and Oncology, Dr. Hann joined the Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center as a member of the Upper Aerodigestive Cancer Program and sees patients with non-small cell and small cell lung cancer.
Dr. Hann's research focus is on developing novel therapeutics for lung cancer, particularly small cell lung cancer (SCLC) and neuroendocrine tumors (NETs) such as carcinoid tumors of the lung. As a faculty member she is involved in both clinical and laboratory research.
Specific research projects include:
1) Studying mechanisms of resistant to small molecule inhibitors of the antiapoptotic protein, BCL-2 using patient-derived xenograft models. Her preclinical work has led to an NCI-sponsored Phase 1/2 clinical trial combining a BCL-2 inhibitor with a TORC1/2 inhibitors which is currently underway (NCT03366103).
2) Preclinical evaluation of various therapeutics including epigenetic modulators (LSD1 inhibitors) and nanoliposome chemotherapy in SCLC PDXs;
3) Modeling and characterizing chemoradiotherapy resistance in preclinical models of SCLC. She, along with Dr. Luigi Marchionni in Biostatistics and Dr. Phuoc Tran in the Department of Radiation Oncology, were recently awarded a 5-year NCI-sponsored U01 grant to study mechanisms of chemoradiation resistance in SCLC.
Dr. Hann is PI of several trials in SCLC and NSCLC and is leading investigator-initiated clinical trials in SCLC and NETs.
- Associate Professor of Oncology
Centers & Institutes
- MD PhD; Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Thomas Jefferson University (2000)
- The University of Chicago / Internal Medicine (2002)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Hematology and Oncology (2007)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Medical Oncology (2006)
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial Keywordslung cancer
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Belani CP, Dahlberg SE, Rudin CM, Fleisher M, Chen HX, Takebe N, Velasco MR Jr, Tester WJ, Sturtz K, Hann CL, Shanks JC, Monga M, Ramalingam SS, Schiller JH. Vismodegib or cixutumumab in combination with standard chemotherapy for patients with extensive-stage small cell lung cancer: A trial of the ECOG-ACRIN Cancer Research Group (E1508). Cancer. 2016 May 10. doi: 10.1002/cncr.30062. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27163943
MacDiarmid JA, Langova V, Bailey D, Pattison ST, Pattison SL, Christensen N, Armstrong LR, Brahmbhatt VN, Smolarczyk K, Harrison MT, Costa M, Mugridge NB, Sedliarou I, Grimes NA, Kiss DL, Stillman B, Hann CL, Gallia GL, Graham RM, Brahmbhatt H. Targeted Doxorubicin Delivery to Brain Tumors via Minicells: Proof of Principle Using Dogs with Spontaneously Occurring Tumors as a Model. PLoS One. 2016 Apr 6;11(4):e0151832. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0151832. eCollection 2016. PMID: 27050167
Sun H, Luo L, Lal B, Ma X, Chen L, Hann CL, Fulton AM, Leahy DJ, Laterra J, Li M. A monoclonal antibody against KCNK9 K(+) channel extracellular domain inhibits tumour growth and metastasis. Nat Commun. 2016 Feb 4;7:10339. doi: 10.1038/ncomms10339. PMID: 26842342
Bunn PA Jr, Minna JD, Augustyn A, Gazdar AF, Ouadah Y, Krasnow MA, Berns A, Brambilla E, Rekhtman N, Massion PP, Niederst M, Peifer M, Yokota J, Govindan R, Poirier JT, Byers LA, Wynes MW, McFadden DG, MacPherson D, Hann CL, Farago AF, Dive C, Teicher BA, Peacock CD, Johnson JE, Cobb MH, Wendel HG, Spigel D, Sage J, Yang P, Pietanza MC, Krug LM, Heymach J, Ujhazy P, Zhou C, Goto K, Dowlati A, Christensen CL, Park K, Einhorn LH, Edelman MJ, Giaccone G, Gerber DE, Salgia R, Owonikoko T, Malik S, Karachaliou N, Gandara DR, Slotman BJ, Blackhall F, Goss G, Thomas R, Rudin CM, Hirsch FR. Small Cell Lung Cancer: Can Recent Advances in Biology and Molecular Biology Be Translated into Improved Outcomes? J Thorac Oncol. 2016 Apr;11(4):453-74. doi: 10.1016/j.jtho.2016.01.012. Epub 2016 Jan 30. Review. No abstract available. PMID: 26829312
Rudin CM, Ismaila N, Hann CL, Malhotra N, Movsas B, Norris K, Pietanza MC, Ramalingam SS, Turrisi AT 3rd, Giaccone G. Treatment of Small-Cell Lung Cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology Endorsement of the American College of Chest Physicians Guideline. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Dec 1;33(34):4106-11. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2015.63.7918. Epub 2015 Sep 8. PMID: 26351333
Activities & Honors
- Young Clinical Scientist Award, Flight Attendant Medical Research Institute, 2007
- Pearl M. Stetler Fellowship Award for Women Physicians, Johns Hopkins University, 2006
- Young Investigator Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2005
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer
Videos & Media
Meet Christine Hann, M.D., Ph.D.