I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Ari Meir Blitz, M.D.
Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Expertise: Diagnostic Radiology
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Ari Meir Blitz is an Assistant Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Division of Neuroradiology within the Department of Radiology and Radiological Science.
A specialist in diagnostic neuroradiology, Dr. Blitz’s clinical and research expertise includes the use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to visualize skull-base tumors, sinus cavities, cranial nerves, and accumulated spinal fluid in the brain caused by conditions such as hydrocephalus.
In 2012 he garnered the Foundation of the American Society of Neuroradiology’s Comparative Effectiveness Research Award for his study of pituitary MRI in patients with Cushing's disease.
Dr. Blitz earned an undergraduate degree in neuroscience from Brown University, where he earned his medical degree through Alpert Medical School’s Program in Liberal Medical Education.
A National Institutes of Health Howard Hughes Scholar, Dr. Blitz spent a year conducting neurophysiology research before completing an internal medicine internship at Harvard’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
He then completed a radiology residency—including service as chief resident—and a neuroradiology fellowship at The Johns Hopkins Hospital before joining the Hopkins faculty.
American Board of Radiology certified in both neuroradiology and diagnostic radiology, Dr. Blitz serves on the managing board of the Johns Hopkins Institute for Excellence in Education.
He co-authored the radiology chapter of Oxford American Handbook of Clinical Medicine and contributed to the book Patient Encounters: The neurology and psychiatry work-up.
- Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
- MD, Brown University Medical School (2001)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Radiology (2006)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Neuroradiology (2007)
- American Board of Radiology / Diagnostic Radiology (2006)
- American Board of Radiology / Neuroradiology (2009)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Soldatos T, Batra K, Blitz AM, Chhabra A. "Lower cranial nerves." Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2014 Feb;24(1):35-47. doi: 10.1016/j.nic.2013.03.022. Epub 2013 Jun 13.
- Blitz AM, Macedo LL, Chonka ZD, Ilica AT, Choudhri AF, Gallia GL, Aygun N. "High-Resolution CISS MR Imaging With and Without Contrast for Evaluation of the Upper Cranial Nerves: Segmental Anatomy and Selected Pathologic Conditions of the Cisternal Through Extraforaminal Segments." Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2014 Feb;24(1):17-34. doi: 10.1016/j.nic.2013.03.021. Epub 2013 Jun 17.
- Blitz AM, Choudhri AF, Chonka ZD, Ilica AT, Macedo LL, Chhabra A, Gallia GL, Aygun N. "Anatomic Considerations, Nomenclature, and Advanced Cross-sectional Imaging Techniques for Visualization of the Cranial Nerve Segments by MR Imaging." Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2014 Feb;24(1):1-15. doi: 10.1016/j.nic.2013.03.020. Epub 2013 Jun 10.
- Kwancharoen R, Blitz AM, Tavares F, Caturegli P, Gallia GL, Salvatori R. "Clinical features of sellar and suprasellar meningiomas." Pituitary. 2013 Aug 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cruz FM, Blitz AM, Subramanian PS. "Partial third nerve palsy and ocular neuromyotonia from displacement of posterior communicating artery detected by high-resolution MRI." J Neuroophthalmol. 2013 Sep;33(3):263-5. doi: 10.1097/WNO.0b013e31829eb397.