I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Lewis Hartley Romer, M.D.
Co-Director of Research, Division of Pediatric Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Languages: English, Hebrew, Yiddish
Expertise: Acute Lung Injury (ALI), Anesthesiology, Critical Care, Pediatric Burns, Pediatric Trauma, Pulmonary Hypertension, Traumatic Brain Injury ...read more
Research Interests: Cytoskeletal biology; Endothelial cell adhesion; Responses of vascular systems to disease and injury; Postoperative management following pediatric cardiac surgery; Advocacy and Communication in the PICU; Vascular Biology and Regenerative Medicine ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6412
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Lewis H. Romer is a professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine, cell biology, biomedical engineering and pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His area of clinical expertise is pediatric anesthesia and critical care medicine.
Dr. Romer received his undergraduate degree in premedical studies and his medical degree from Dartmouth College. He completed a residency in pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine/Primary Children’s Hospital and an elective residency in the pediatric intensive care unit at The Hospital for Sick Children at the University of Toronto. Dr. Romer performed a fellowship in pediatric critical care at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and a research fellowship in the cardiovascular-pulmonary division of the department of medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and the Wistar Institute.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins faculty in 2000, Dr. Romer was a clinician at North Carolina Children’s Hospital, where he served as a the director of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, the division director of Pediatric Critical Care, and the director of the Fellowship in Pediatric Critical Care Medicine.
His research interests include responses of vascular systems to disease and injury.
Dr. Romer is a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and a member of the Society of Critical Care Medicine and the American Society of Cell Biology. He works as a grant reviewer for the Basic Cell and Molecular Biology Section of the American Heart Association, the National Science Foundation and the Wellcome Trust, among others.
- Co-Director of Research, Division of Pediatric Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Cell Biology
- Professor of Pediatrics
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- Cell Dynamics, Center for
- Global Health Faculty, Center for
- Johns Hopkins Children's Center
- MD, Dartmouth Medical School (1981)
- The University of Utah / Pediatrics (1984)
- The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia / Pediatric Critical Care Medicine (1989)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatric Critical Care Medicine (1992)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (1985)
Research & Publications
Dr. Romer is a vascular biologist. His research focuses on responses of vascular systems to disease and injury. He has been working with a team of scientists to discover new therapies for treating cardiovascular disease that could be used in conjunction with statins and exercise.
Pandey D, Bhunia A, Oh YJ, Chang F1, Bergman Y, Kim JH, Serbo J, Boronina TN, Cole RN, Van Eyk J, Remaley AT, Berkowitz DE1, Romer LH. "OxLDL triggers retrograde translocation of arginase2 in aortic endothelial cells via ROCK and mitochondrial processing peptidase." Circ Res. 2014 Aug 1;115(4):450-9. doi: 10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.115.304262. Epub 2014 Jun 5.
Pandey D, Sikka G, Bergman Y, Kim JH, Ryoo S, Romer L, Berkowitz D. "Transcriptional regulation of endothelial arginase 2 by histone deacetylase 2." Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2014 Jul;34(7):1556-66. doi: 10.1161/ATVBAHA.114.303685. Epub 2014 May 15.
Benjamin Kim Kiat Teo, Sum Thai Wong, Choon Kiat Lim, Terrence Y S Kung, Chong Hao Yap, Yamini Ramagopal, Lewis H Romer, Evelyn K F Yim. "Nanotopography modulates mechanotransduction of stem cells and induces differentiation through focal adhesion kinase." ACS Nano. 2013 Jun 24;7(6):4785-98. Epub 2013 May 24.
Collaco JM, Romer LH, Stuart BD, Coulson JD, Everett AD, Lawson EE, Brenner JI, Brown AT, Nies MK, Sekar P, Nogee LM, McGrath-Morrow SA. "Frontiers in pulmonary hypertension in infants and children with bronchopulmonary dysplasia." Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012 Nov;47(11):1042-53. doi: 10.1002/ppul.22609. Epub 2012 Jul 6.
Chang F, Lemmon C, Lietha D, Eck M, Romer L. "Tyrosine phosphorylation of Rac1: a role in regulation of cell spreading." PLoS One. 2011; 6(12):e28587.
Activities & Honors
- Senior International Fellowship, NIH Fogarty International Center, 1999 - 2002
- Michael Visiting Professorship, Weizmann Institute of Science, 1999
- Physician's Recognition Award, American Medical Association, 1998 - 2001
- Jefferson-Pilot Fellowship Award, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 1995
- Davis Award, American Lung Association, 1994
- University of North Carolina nominee for competition for Pew Scholars Program, 1992
- Junior Faculty Development Award, University of North Carolina, 1991
- Ciba Award for Community Service, Dartmouth Medical School, 1981
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Dartmouth Medical School, 1981
- Phi Beta Kappa, Dartmouth College, 1977
- Summa Cum Laude, Dartmouth College, 1977
- Senior Fellowship for research and thesis work in medieval studies, Dartmouth College, 1976 - 1977
- Rufus Choate Scholar, Dartmouth College, 1974 - 1977
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Society of Cell Biology
- Association of University Anesthesiologists
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Grant reviewer, American Heart Association, 2005
Basic Cell and Molecular Biology Section
- Grant reviewer, National Science Foundation, 2000
- Grant reviewer, The Wellcome Trust, 1999
- Grant reviewer, Jeffress Memorial Trust and the Virginia Academy of Science, 1998
- Parental Authority Committee, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2003
- Pediatric Burn Center Committee, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2004
- Pediatric Nutrition Advisory Committee, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2003
- Pediatric Trauma Committee, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2004
- Subspecialty Board, American Board of Pediatrics
Critical Care Medicine renewal