I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Peter VanDoren Johnston, M.D.
Medical Director, Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, Howard County General Hospital
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Angioplasty, Cardiac Catheterization, Cardiology, Cardiovascular Diseases, Cardiovascular Medicine, Coronary Artery Disease, Coronary Artery Stenting, Fractional Flow Reserve, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, Interventional Cardiology, Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS), Myocardial Infarction, Stenting ...read more
Research Interests: Stem Cell Therapy for the Heart; Optimization of primary angioplasty for acute myocardial infarction
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 443-997-0270
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-0270
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Johnston is a native of Baltimore who joined the Cardiology Faculty in 2008 and currently practices Interventional Cardiology at Johns Hopkins Hospital, Bayview Medical Center, and Howard County General Hospital. His primary research interest is in stem cell therapy for the heart, for which several clinical trials are currently underway at Johns Hopkins....read more
- Medical Director, Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, Howard County General Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Michigan Medical School (2000)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Cardiology (2003)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Cardiology (2007)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Interventional Cardiology (2008)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Cardiovascular Disease (2007)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Interventional Cardiology (2008)
Research & Publications
Selected Publications1. Nam M, Johnston P, Lal B, Indurti R, Wilson MA, Laterra J. Endothelial cell-based cytokine gene delivery inhibits 9L glioma growth in vivo. Brain Res. 1996; 731(1-2):161-70.
2. Johnston P, Nam M, Hossain MA, Indurti RR, Mankowski JL, Wilson MA, Laterra J. Delivery of human fibroblast growth factor-1 gene to brain by modified rat brain endothelial cells. J Neurochem. 1996; 67(4):1543-52.
3. Laterra J, Nam M, Rosen E, Rao JS, Lamszus K, Goldberg ID, Johnston P. Scatter factor/hepatocyte growth factor gene transfer enhances glioma growth and angiogenesis in vivo. Lab Invest. 1997; 76(4):565-77.
4. Laterra J, Rosen E, Nam M. Ranganathan S, Fielding K, Johnston P. Scatter factor/hepatocyte growth factor expression enhances human glioblastoma tumorigenicity and growth. Biochem Biophys Res Comm. 1997; 235(3):743-7.
5. Fischbach PS, Johnston PV, Friedrichs GS, Lucchesi BR. Tedisamil in a chronic canine model of atrial flutter. J Cardiovasc Pharm. 1999; 34(2):212-8.
6. Conrad KF, Johnston PV, Crossman C, Kempenaers B, Robertson RJ, Wheelwright NT, Boag PT. High levels of extra-pair paternity in an isolated, low-density island population of tree swallows (Tachycineta bicolor). Molec Ecol. 2001; 10(5):1301-8.
7. Johnston PV and Samaniego M. Magnesium and phosphate disorders. In: The Osler Handbook of Inpatient Medicine, A. Cheng and A. Zaas (eds). St. Louis, Mosby, 2003.
8. Hirsch GA, Johnston PV, Conte JV Jr, Achuff SC. Mycotic aortocoronary saphenous vein graft aneurysm presenting with unstable angina pectoris. Annals Thorac Surg. 2004; 78(4):1456-8.
9. Mudd JO, Borlaug BA, Johnston PV, Kral BG, Rouf R, Blumenthal RS, Kwiterovich PO. Beyond LDL cholesterol defining the role of LDL heterogeneity in coronary artery disease. JACC 2007; 50(18):1735-41.
10. Huang Y, Johnston PV, Zhang B, Zakaria A, Chowdry T, Smith RR, Marbn E, Rabb H, Womer KL. Kidney-derived stromal cells modulate dendritic and T cell responses. J Am Soc Nephrol 2009; 20(4):685-6.
11. Johnston PV, Sasano T, Mills K, Evers R, Lee ST, Smith RR, Lardo AC, Steenbergen C, Gerstenblith G, Lange R, Marban E. Engraftment, differentiation and functional benefits of autologous cardiosphere-derived cells in porcine ischemic cardiomyopathy. Circulation 2009; 120(12):1075-83.
Activities & Honors
- Most Aequanimitas Intern., Osler Medical Housestaff, Johns Hopkins Hospital., 2001
- Abstract Travel Award, American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2006, American Heart Association Council on Basic Cardiovascular Sciences, 2006
- Stanley L. Blumenthal, MD Cardiology Research Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine., 2006
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association