I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Jim Brasic, A.M., M.A., M.D., M.P.H., M.S.
James Robert Brasic, A.M., M.A., M.D., M.P.H., M.S.
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Specializes in: Adolescents (12-18 years), Children (1-11 years), Adults (18+ years), Geriatrics (55+ years), Infants (up to 1 year)
Expertise: Diagnostic Radiology, Neuropsychiatry, Neuropsychology
Research Interests: Nuclear; Neuroimaging
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-7237
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. James Brasic is an Assistant Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Radiology and Radiological Science. His areas of clinical expertise include neurology, psychiatry, and child and adolescent psychiatry. He conducts nuclear neuroimaging, including positron emission tomography and single-photon emission computed tomography, to investigate nervous and mental disorders.
Dr. Brasic earned his M.D. from Boston University School of Medicine. He also has degrees from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences of Washington University in St. Louis, as well as the Mailman School of Public Health and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences of Columbia University. He completed residencies at New York State Psychiatric Institute in child psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine in psychiatry and Los Angeles County - USC Medical Center in neurology. He performed a fellowship in radiology - nuclear medicine at The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Dr. Brasic's primary research interest is neuronuclear imaging.
Dr. Brasic has been selected for the 2018 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award of Marquis Who's Who. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Assistant Professor of Neurology
Centers & Institutes
- Computed Tomography
- A.B., Boston University (Massachusetts) (1972)
- M.D., Boston University School of Medicine - Boston (Massachusetts) (1972)
- A.M., Washington University in St. Louis (Missouri) (1980)
- M.P.H., Columbia University School of Public Health (New York) (1983)
- M.S., Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health (New York) (1984)
- M.A., Columbia University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (New York) (1987)
American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (1988)
American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Neurology (1982)
American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Psychiatry (1984)
Research & Publications
Dr. Brasic is a nuclear child neuropsychiatrist who conducts research to characterize neurotransmitters and neuroreceptors in the brain in health and disease. He investigates the density and the distribution of neurochemicals in the central nervous system utilizing nuclear neuroimaging techniques including positron emission tomography (PET) and single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT). He is looking at the density and distribution of the neurotransmitters in people with schizophrenia, Gilles de la Tourette syndrome (TS), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Rett syndrome and other autism spectrum disorders, Parkinson's disease, substance dependence, and other nervous and mental disorders.
Clinical Trial KeywordsNeuropsychiatry
Brasic JR, et al. Synapse 2009:63:339-358
Chen MK, Kuwabara H, Zhou Y, Adams RI, Brasic JR, et al. J Neurochem 2008;105:78-90
Zhou Y, Ye W, Brasic JR, et al. Neuroimage 2009;44:661-670
McCann UD, Kuwabara H, Kumar A, Palermo M, Abbey R, Brasic J, et al. Synapse 2008;62:91-100
Wong DF, Brasic JR, et al. Neuropsychopharmacology 2008;33:1239-1251
Activities & Honors
- Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, 10th Ed. Marquis Who's Who New Providence NJ, 2008 - 2009
- Guide to Americas Top Psychiatrists, 2007 Ed. Wash, DC: Consumers Res Coun Am, 2007
- Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, 9th Ed., New Providence, NJ. Marquis. Guide to Americas, 2006 - 2007
- Top Physicians, 2006 Ed. Wash, DC: Consumers Res Coun Am, 2006
- Guide to Americas Top Psychiatrists, Edition, 2nd Ed. Wash, DC: Consumers Res Coun Am, 2004 - 2005
- Guide to Americas Top Psychiatrists, 2002-2003 Ed. Wash, DC: Consumers Research Council of Am, 2002 - 2003
- Young Investigator Awards, NARSAD, 2002
- Young Investigator Awards, NARSAD, 2000
- Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, 1st Ed., New Providence NJ Marquis, 1996 p.125, 1997 - 1998
- Who's Who of Emerging Leaders in America, 4th Ed., Marquis Whos Who New Providence NJ, 1992 p. 129, 1993 - 1994
- Who's Who in the East, 23rd Ed., Wilmette, IL: Marquis Who's Who, 1990 p.94, 1991 - 1992
- Fellow, Amer Acad Child Adolescent Psychiatry, 1988
- Fac Recognition Award, Dept Psychiatry, Wright St U,, Fellow Amer Acad Child Adolescent Psychiatry, 1979
- Air Force Commendation Medal, USAF, 1979
- Deans Honor List AB cum laude, Boston U College of Arts + Sciences, 1966 - 1972
- Honors Accel 6-Year Program Liberal Arts + Med Ed, Boston U, 1966 - 1972
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 1980
- American Academy of Neurology, 1973
- Community of Science (http://myprofile.cos.com/yrral), 2005
- Hopkins Toastmasters, 2004
- Movement Disorder Society, 1995
- Society for Nuclear Medicine, 2008
- External Reviewer for grant application, Canadian Institutes of Health Research Instituts de recherche en sant du Canada, 2006