I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Peter Louis Gehlbach, M.D., Ph.D.
Director of Wilmer Echography Center
Professor of Ophthalmology
Expertise: Central Serous Chorioretinopathy, Diabetic Retinopathy, Epiretinal Membranes, Macular Degeneration, Macular Degeneration (Age-Related), Macular Disorders, Macular Holes, Macular Puckers, Ocular Trauma, Ophthalmology, Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis , Retinal Detachment, Retinal Specialist, Retinal Surgery, Retinal Vascular Disease, Retinal Vein Occlusion, Retinal Vessel Occlusion, Surgical and Medical Diseases of the Retina, Vitreoretinal Diseases and Surgery Service ...read more
Research Interests: Angiogenesis; Gene Therapy; Diabetic Retinopathy; Macular Degeneration; Microsurgical Instrument Development; Novel surgical tool development; Robotic Surgery; Gene Therapy ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-3518
600 N. Wolfe Street
Wilmer Eye Institute
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Peter Louis Gehlbach, MD, PhD, is Professor of Ophthalmology at the Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute, with a secondary appointment at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Whiting School of Engineering.
Dr. Gehlbach specializes in performing complex vitreo-retinal surgery and in caring for patients referred with vitreo-retinal disease. He is dedicated to mentoring the next generation of retinal surgeons. His grant-supported research is directed at discovering new treatments for blinding eye disease, and has led to numerous frequently cited published works, and important patents advancing the field of ophthalmic microsurgery.
Dr. Gehlbach received his is MD from University of Vermont, and PhD in Cell and Integrative Physiology from the University of Minnesota.
- Director of Wilmer Echography Center
- Professor of Ophthalmology
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Vermont College of Medicine (1986)
- Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science / Surgery (1989)
- Washington University School of Medicine in St Louis / Ophthalmology (1998)
- Regions Hospital / Ophthalmology (1994)
- Washington University School of Medicine in St Louis / Ophthalmology (1995)
- Casey Eye Institute/Oregon Health Sciences Univ / Retina (2000)
- American Board of Ophthalmology / Ophthalmology (2000)
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial KeywordsMacular Degeneration, Diabetes
Activities & Honors
- Nomination for Excellence in Service and Professionalism Award, Johns Hopkins Medicine Clinical Awards
- Grant Funding, Fight for Sight
- Career Development Award, Research to Prevent Blindness
- Knights Templar Eye Foundation
- Inaugural Maumenee Clinician Scientist Scholar, Johns Hopkins University
- Ophthalmology Fellowship, Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Fellowship
- Vitreoretinal Clinical Fellowship, merican Ophthalmological Society – Knapp Fellowship