I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Eric Kossoff, M.D.
Eric Heath Kossoff, M.D.
Director, Child Neurology Residency Program
Professor of Neurology
Expertise: Epilepsy, Ketogenic diet, Neurology, Sturge-Weber disease
Research Interests: Seizures and Epilepsy – particularly treatments other than medications such as diet, neurostimulation and surgery. Ketogenic diet; Atkins diet for children and adults; Infantile spasms; Hemispherectomy; Interaction of migraine headaches with epilepsy; Sturge-Weber syndrome. ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Dr. Eric Kossoff focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of childhood seizures and epilepsy, particularly treatments other than medications such as diet, neurostimulation and surgery. He is one of the world experts on dietary treatment for epilepsy (ketogenic diet) and lectures around the world about this therapy. Specific interests include the ketogenic diet, the modified Atkins diet for children and adults, infantile spasms, benign rolandic epilepsy, the interaction of migraine headaches with epilepsy and Sturge-Weber syndrome.
Dr. Eric Kossoff is also very involved in teaching and is the Director of the Pediatric Neurology Residency Program. He is a professor of neurology and pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is a coauthor of Treatment of Pediatric Neurologic Disorders and the 6th edition of Ketogenic Diets.
Dr. Kossoff currently sees epilepsy patients in the Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center, 5th floor, located in Baltimore on Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings. He sees patients at Green Spring Station on Wednesday afternoons as well.
Dr. Kossoff received his medical degree from SUNY at Buffalo School of Medicine in New York. He went on to complete a residency in pediatrics at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, Virginia. He completed a second residency in child neurology and a fellowship in pediatric epilepsy and clinical neurophysiology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore
- Director, Child Neurology Residency Program
- Medical Director, Ketogenic Diet Program
- Professor of Neurology
- Professor of Pediatrics
- MD, SUNY at Buffalo School of Medicine (1995)
- Childrens Hospital of the King's Daughters / Pediatrics (1998)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Neurology (2002)
Research & Publications
Activities & Honors
- Top Doctor 2007 - 2018, Baltimore Magazine, 2007 - 2018
- Honorary Professor, Hospital Italiano, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2018 - 2018
- Fellow, American Epilepsy Society, 2016 - 2016
- John Freeman Award for Excellence and Compassion in Prescribing and Administering Ketogenic Therapies for Epilepsy and Other Neurologic Disorders, 2016 - 2016
- Isaiah Stone Visiting Professor, Oklahoma University, 2015 - 2015
- Melissa Warfield Outstanding Alumni Award, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 2011 - 2011
- AAN Child Neurology Program Directors Travel Scholarship, 2010 - 2010
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Learn more about dietary therapies for epilepsy.
Report from the 4th Biannual Ketogenic Dietary Therapies Symposium, Epilepsy Foundation (11/12/2014)