I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
George E. Bigelow, Ph.D.
Director, Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-550-0035
4940 Eastern Avenue Baltimore, MD 21224
- Director, Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit
- Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Centers & Institutes
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1971, Psychopharmacology
Research & Publications
Clinical research on substance abuse and its treatment. Human laboratory clinical pharmacology research evaluates the abuse liability and the subjective, behavioral, and physiological effects of drugs of abuse and of medications being developed or evaluated as possible treatments for substance abuse.Outpatient clinical trials research evaluates pharmacological and psychosocial treatments (especially incentive-based contingency management procedures) for substance abuse, and predictors of treatment response. Director of postdoctoral research training program in the behavioral pharmacology of substance abuse.
- Walsh, S.L., Sullivan, J.T., Preston, K.L., Garner, J.E., & Bigelow, G.E. (1996). The effects of naltrexone on response to intravenous cocaine, hydromorphone and their combination in humans. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 279, 524-538.
- Bigelow, G. E., & Walsh, S.L. (1998). Evaluation of potential pharmacotherapies: response to cocaine challenge in the human laboratory. In S. Higgins & J. Katz (Eds.). Cocaine Abuse Research: Pharmacology, Behavior, and Clinical Applications. (pp. 209-238 )
- Academic Press, CA. Bigelow, G.E. & Silverman, K. (1999). Theoretical and empirical foundations of contingency management treatments for drug abuse. In S.T. Higgins and K. Silverman (Eds.), Motivating Behavior Change Among Illicit-Drug Abusers (pp. 15-31).
- Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. Johnson RE, Chutuape MA, Strain EC, Walsh SL, Stitzer ML, Bigelow GE. A comparison of levomethadyl acetate, buprenorphine, and methadone for opioid dependence. New England Journal of Medicine. 2000 2;343(18):1290-7.
- Griffiths RR, Bigelow GE, Ator NA. (2003). Principles of initial experimental drug abuse liability assessment in humans. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 70 (3) Supplement 1 ,.S41-S54.