I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Jeanne Marie Clark, M.D., M.P.H.
Director, Division of General Internal Medicine
Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, French
Expertise: Diabetes, Internal Medicine, Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, Obesity, Primary Care
Research Interests: Obesity; Diabetes Mellitus; Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 410-583-2926
10753 Falls Road
Pavilion II Suite 325
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Dr. Clark has devoted her career to studying the epidemiology and treatment of obesity and its consequences, especially type 2 diabetes and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. She has been a key investigator in several multi-center, landmark trials including the Diabetes Prevention Program trial (DPP), the Practice-based Opportunities for Weight Reduction trial (POWER), and the Action for Health in Diabetes trial (Look AHEAD). She is currently conducting a trial to determine the comparative effectiveness and mechanisms of diabetes improvement following weight loss achieved by 3 methods: lifestyle change, gastric banding surgery, and gastric bypass surgery. In addition to her clinical trial work, she has conducted epidemiologic and translational studies, qualitative studies, systematic reviews and health services research all aimed at improving our understanding of obesity and its consequences, in order to better prevent, diagnose and treat these conditions and improve the health of individual patients as well as the public. Dr. Clark is a practicing general internist and is actively involved in medical education.
- Director, Division of General Internal Medicine
- Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Rutgers - Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (1992)
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center / Internal Medicine (1996)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1998)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2000)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1996)
Research & Publications
Exercise and QUality Diet After Leukemia: The EQUAL Study, Start of enrollment: 2014 Sep 01, Tonorezos, E.,Armstrong, G.,Clark, J.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Wadden TA, Bantle JP, Blackburn G, Bolin P, Brancati FL, Bray GA, Clark JM, Coday M, Dutton GR, Egan C, Evans M, Foreyt JP, Sengardi SG, Gregg EW, Hazuda HP, Hill JO, Horton ES, Hubbard VS, Jakicic JM, Jeffery RW, Johnson KC, Kahn SE, Kitabchi AE, Knowler WC, Lewis CE, Maschak-Carey BJ, Montez MG, Montgomery B, Nathan DM, Nelson J, Patricio J, Peters A, Pi-Sunyer X, Pownall H, Rickman AD, Vitolins M, Walkup MP, West DS, Williamson D, Wing RR, Wyatt H, Yanovski SZ. Eight-Year weight losses with an intensive lifestyle intervention: The look AHEAD study. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Nov 9. doi: 10.1002/oby.20662. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24307184
- Mongraw-Chaffin ML, Anderson CM, Clark JM, Bennett WL. Association of pre-pregnancy body mass index with cardiovascular disease mortality: The child health and development studies. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Oct 4. doi: 10.1002/oby.20633. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24124023
- Gadgil MD, Chang HY, Richards TM, Gudzune KA, Huizinga MM, Clark JM, Bennett WL. Laboratory Testing for and Diagnosis of Nutritional Deficiencies in Pregnancy Before and After Bariatric Surgery. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2013 Oct 8. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24102519
- McCaffery JM, Papandonatos GD, Huggins GS, Peter I, Erar B, Kahn SE, Knowler WC, Lipkin EW, Kitabchi AE, Wagenknecht LE, Wing RR; Genetic Subgroup of Look AHEAD; Look AHEAD Research Group. Human cardiovascular disease IBC chip-wide association with weight loss and weight regain in the look AHEAD trial. Hum Hered. 2013;75(2-4):160-74. doi: 10.1159/000353181. Epub 2013 Sep 27. PMID: 24081232
- Bennett WL, Gudzune KA, Appel LJ, Clark JM. Insights from the POWER Practice-Based Weight Loss Trial: A Focus Group Study on the PCP's Role in Weight Management. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Sep 4. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24002616
- Chang HY, Richards TM, Clark JM, Weiner JP, Segal JB. Change in claims-based diabetes medications is a diabetes improvement indicator. Am J Manag Care. 2013 Jul;19(7):572-8. PMID: 23919420 [PubMed - in process]
- Maruthur NM, Ma Y, Delahanty LM, Nelson JA, Aroda V, White NH, Marrero D, Brancati FL, Clark JM; Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Early response to preventive strategies in the Diabetes Prevention Program. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Dec;28(12):1629-36. doi: 10.1007/s11606-013-2548-4. Epub 2013 Jul 17. PMID: 23860722 [PubMed - in process]
- Knoepp LR, Semins MJ, Wright EJ, Steele K, Shore AD, Clark JM, Makary MA, Matlaga BR, Chen CC. Does bariatric surgery affect urinary incontinence? Urology. 2013 Sep;82(3):547-51. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2013.04.042. Epub 2013 Jul 9. PMID: 23845668
- Look AHEAD Research Group, Wing RR, Bolin P, Brancati FL, Bray GA, Clark JM, Coday M, Crow RS, Curtis JM, Egan CM, Espeland MA, Evans M, Foreyt JP, Ghazarian S, Gregg EW, Harrison B, Hazuda HP, Hill JO, Horton ES, Hubbard VS, Jakicic JM, Jeffery RW, Johnson KC, Kahn SE, Kitabchi AE, Knowler WC, Lewis CE, Maschak-Carey BJ, Montez MG, Murillo A, Nathan DM, Patricio J, Peters A, Pi-Sunyer X, Pownall H, Reboussin D, Regensteiner JG, Rickman AD, Ryan DH, Safford M, Wadden TA, Wagenknecht LE, West DS, Williamson DF, Yanovski SZ. Cardiovascular effects of intensive lifestyle intervention in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2013 Jul 11;369(2):145-54. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1212914. Epub 2013 Jun 24. PMID: 23796131
- Wing RR, Bond DS, Gendrano IN 3rd, Wadden T, Bahnson J, Lewis CE, Brancati F, Schneider S, Kitabchi AE, Van Dorsten B, Rosen RC; Sexual Dysfunction Subgroup of the Look AHEAD Research Group. Effect of intensive lifestyle intervention on sexual dysfunction in women with type 2 diabetes: results from an ancillary Look AHEAD study. Diabetes Care. 2013 Oct;36(10):2937-44. doi: 10.2337/dc13-0315. Epub 2013 Jun 11. PMID: 23757437
Activities & Honors
- CMS Meaningful Use Stage 1 Certification, EpicCare Ambulatory EMR, Epic Systems Corporation, 2013 - 2014