I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
A. Jay Khanna, M.D.
Akhil Jay Khanna, M.D.
4.4 out of 5
Vice Chair, Orthopaedic Surgery
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Languages: English, Hindi, Spanish
Expertise: Back Disorders, Back Pain, Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease, Cervical Degenerative Disc Herniation, Cervical Disc Herniation, Cervical Myelopathy, Cervical Radiculopathy, Cervical Spine Trauma, Degenerative Disc Disease, Degenerative Spine Disease, Herniated Disc, Lumbar Degenerative Disease, Lumbar Disc Herniation, Lumbar Radiculopathy, Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedics, Scoliosis, Spinal Decompression, Spinal Deformities, Spinal Disorders, Spinal Fixation, Spinal Fusion, Spinal Instability, Spinal Pain, Spinal Reconstruction, Spinal Stenosis, Spinal Trauma, Spine, Spine Surgery, Spondylolisthesis ...read more
Research Interests: Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery; Spine Biomechanics; Outcomes after Spine Surgery; Advanced Musculoskeletal and Spine Imaging; Osteoporosis; Advanced Image Guidance Techniques for Spine Surgery ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Health Care and Surgery Center
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 301-530-3220
6420 Rockledge Drive Johns Hopkins Orthopaedic Surgery- DC Region Suite 2200 Bethesda, MD 20817
Dr. A. Jay Khanna is a spine surgeon in Bethesda, Maryland and cares for patients in and around the Washington DC metropolitan region. He is a professor of orthopaedic surgery, neurosurgery and biomedical engineering at the Baltimore-based Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and is the Vice Chair of Professional Development for the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.
As a spine specialist, Dr. Khanna is interested in the treatment of a wide range of spine pathologies using techniques ranging from minimally invasive spine surgery to complex spinal reconstructions. He often collaborates with other specialists in interventional pain management, rheumatology, neurology and physiatry and enjoys providing a multidisciplinary and collaborative approach to the care of his patients with various conditions of the spine.
Education is another one of Dr. Khanna’s interests. He serves as the course director for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Board Review Course which is annually held in Chicago. Dr. Khanna also teaches and directs several other CME courses for spine surgeons, neurosurgeons and orthopaedic surgeons through the North American Spine Society, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and other organizations. Dr. Khanna previously served as the clinical director for the Johns Hopkins Center for Biomedical Engineering, Innovation and Design.
Dr. Khanna is actively involved in research and has authored over 100 peer-reviewed publications and book chapters on topics in spine surgery, neurosurgery and orthopaedic surgery. He has edited two highly regarded textbooks entitled "MRI Essentials for the Spine Specialist" and "MRI for Orthopaedic Surgeons."
For patient care-related issues, please contact his office at (301)530-3220.
For professional or administrative matters, you can reach Dr. Khanna directly via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vice Chair, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Neurosurgery
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine (1995)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Radiology (1998)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Orthopaedic Surgery (2003)
- Cleveland Clinic / Spinal Surgery (2004)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery / Orthopaedic Surgery (2006)
Bachelors of Science - Georgetown University (District of Columbia) - 1991
Research & Publications
Dr. Khanna’s research interests include the evaluation of clinical and functional outcomes of the spine surgery, complications relating to spine surgery, advanced imaging of the spine including intraoperative image guidance, and the study of spine biomechanics. Dr. Khanna is actively involved in research and has authored over 100 peer-reviewed publications, book chapters, books and monographs on topics in spine and orthopaedic surgery.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Beall DP, Khanna AJ, Shaffrey JK. Extensive Pneumatosis Intestinalis and Portal Venous Air Developing after Bowel Infarction. Maryland Medical Journal 1997; 46: 139-140
- Khanna AJ. Pathophysiology and Treatment of Variceal Hemorrhage. Radiology 1997; 203: 784.
- Khanna AJ, Yoon TR, Mont MA, Hungerford DS, Bluemke DA. Femoral Head Osteonecrosis: Detection and Grading Using a Rapid MR Imaging Protocol. Radiology 2000; 217(1): 188-192.
- Frassica FJ, Khanna AJ, McCarthy EF.The Role of MR Imaging in Soft Tissue Tumor Evaluation: Perspective of the Orthopaedic Oncologist and Musculoskeletal Pathologist. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Clinics of North America 2000; 8(4): 915-927.
- Khanna AJ, Braverman NE, Valle D, Sponseller PD. Cervical Stenosis Secondary to Rhizomelic Chondrodysplasia Punctata. American Journal of Medical Genetics 2001; 99(1): 63-66.
- Ahn UM, Lemma MA, Ahn NA, Khanna AJ, Buchowski J, Kostuik JP. Occipitocervical Fusion: A Review of Indications, Techniques of Internal Fixation, and Results. Neurosurgery Quarterly 2001; 11(2): 77-85.
- Khanna AJ, Cosgarea AJ, Mont MA, Andres BM, Domb BG, Evans PJ, Bluemke DA, Frassica FJ. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Knee: Current Techniques and Spectrum of Disease. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery [American], 2001, 83 (Suppl. 2, Pt. 2): 128-141.
- Shindle MK, Khanna AJ, Hoehner JC, O’Niell PJ, Sponseller PD. Colonic Perforation Complicating Postero-Anterior Fusion Using Fibular Strut Autograft for a High-Grade Spondylolisthesis. Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques 2002; 15(6): 546-549.
- Shindle MK, Khanna AJ, McCarthy EF, O’Niell PJ, Sponseller PD. Desmoid Tumor of the Spinal Canal Causing Paralysis. Spine 2002; 27(12): E304-307.
- Khanna AJ, Carbone JJ, Kebaish KM, Cohen DB, Riley LH III, Wasserman BA, Kostuik JP. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Cervical Spine: Current Techniques and Spectrum of Disease. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery [American], 2002; 84(Suppl. 2, Pt. 2): 70-80.
- Khanna AJ, Wasserman BA, Sponseller PD. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Pediatric Spine. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2003; 11(4): 248-259.
- Moshirfar A, Campbell JT, Khanna AJ, Byank RP, Bluemke DA, Wenz JF Sr. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Ankle: Current Techniques and Spectrum of Disease. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery [American], 2003; 85(Suppl. 4): 7-19.
- Ngu BB, Khanna AJ, Pak SS, McCarthy EF, Sponseller PD. Eosinophilic Granuloma of the Atlas Presenting as Torticollis in a Child. Spine, 2004; 29(5):E98-E100.
- Domb BG, Khanna AJ, Mitchell SE, Frassica FJ. Toe-Walking Attributable to Malformation of the Calf Muscle. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 2004; 420:225-229.
- Andres BA, Khanna AJ, Wenz JF Sr, Faust AF, Frassica FJ. A Comparison of Digital Cameras: Features Essential for the Orthopaedic Surgeon. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2004; 421: 10-16.
- Khanna AJ, Domb BG, Moshirfar A, Wenz JF Sr. Rapidly Destructive Osteoarthropathy of the Hip. The American Journal of Orthopedics, 2004; 33(5): 243-247.
- Khanna AJ, Kebaish KM, Ozdemir HM, Cohen DB, Gonzales RA, Kostuik JP. Sacral Insufficiency Fracture Surgically Treated by Fibular Allograft. Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques, 2004;17(3): 167-173.
- Khanna AJ, Shindle MK, Wasserman BA, Gokaslan ZL, Gonzales RA, Buchowski JM, Riley LH III. Use of Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Differentiating Compartmental Location of Spinal Tumors. The American Journal of Orthopedics; 2005; 34(10): 472-476.
- Khanna AJ, Neubauer P, Togawa D, Reinhardt MK, Lieberman IH. Kyphoplasty and Vertebroplasty for the Treatment of Spinal Metastases. Supportive Cancer Therapy, 2005; 3(1): 21-25.
- Moshirfar A, Rand FF, Sponseller PD, Parazin SJ, Khanna AJ, Kebaish KM, Stinson JT, Riley LH III. Pelvic Fixation in Spine Surgery: Historical Overview, Indications, Biomechanical Relevance, and Current Techniques. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery [American], 2005; 87(Suppl. 2): 89-106.
- Khanna AJ, Reinhardt MK, Togawa D, Lieberman IH. Functional Outcomes of Kyphoplasty for the Treatment of Osteoporotic and Osteolytic Vertebral Compression Fractures. Osteoporosis International, 2006;17(6): 817-826.
- Shindle MK, Khanna AJ, Bhatnager R, Sponseller PD. Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis: Modern Management Guidelines. Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advances, 2006; 15(1): 43-52.
- Brunton LM, Anderson MW, Pannunzio ME, Khanna AJ, Chhabra AB. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Elbow: Update on Current Techniques and Indications. The Journal of Hand Surgery [American], 2006; 31(6): 1001-1011.
- Farber A, Fayad L, Johnson T, Cascio B, Shindle M, Neubauer P, Khanna AJ. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Shoulder: Techniques and Spectrum of Disease. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery [American], 2006; 88(Suppl. 4): 64-79.
- Shindle MK, Foo LF, Kelly BT, Khanna AJ, Domb BG, Farber A, Wanich T, Potter HG. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Cartilage in the Athlete: Current Techniques and Spectrum of Disease. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery [American], 2006; 88(Suppl. 4): 27-46.
- Moshirfar A, Khanna AJ, Kebaish KM. Treatment of Symptomatic Spondyloptosis in an Adult Previously Treated with in Situ Fusion and Instrumentation by L5 Vertebrectomy and L4-S1 Instrumented Reduction. The Spine Journal, 2007; 7(1): 100-105.
- Pateder DB, Khanna AJ, Lieberman IH. Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty for the Management of Osteoporotic Vertebral Compression Fractures. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2007; 38(3):409-418.
- Shen FH, Samartzis D, Khanna AJ, Anderson DG. Minimally Invasive Techniques for Lumbar Interbody Fusions. The Orthopedic Clinics of North America, 2007; 38(3): 373-386.
- Papp DF, Khanna AJ, McCarthy EF, Carrino JA, Farber AJ, Frassica FJ. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Soft-Tissue Tumors: Determinate and Indeterminate Lesions. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery [American], 2007; 89(Suppl. 3): 103-115.
- Khanna AJ, Lee S, Villaraga M, Gimbel J, Steffey D, Shwardt J. Biomechanical Evaluation of Kyphoplasty with Calcium Phosphate Cement in a 2-Functional Spinal Unit Vertebral Compression Fracture Model. The Spine Journal, 2008; 8(5): 770-777.
- Gebauer GP, Farjoodi P, Sciubba DM, Gokaslan ZL, Riley LH III, Wasserman BA, Khanna AJ. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Spine Tumors: Classification, Differential Diagnosis, and Spectrum of Disease. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery [American], 2008; 90(Suppl 4): 146-142.
- Krabak BJ, Clotz CR, Gokaslan ZL, Khanna AJ. Spinal Capillary Hemangioma in a Patient with Chronic Hip Pain. SpineLine, 2008; 9(5): 33-36.
- Gebauer GP, Khanna AJ. Management of Osteoporotic Fractures of the Thoracolumbar Spine. Seminars in Spine Surgery,2010; 22(2): 58-66.
- Farjoodi P, Khanna AJ, Marker DR, Frassica FJ. Evaluation of the Orthopaedic In-Training Examination: Spine Questions. Journal of Surgical Education, 2010; 67(3): 139-142.
- Farjoodi P, Mesfin A, Carrino JA, Khanna AJ. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Musculoskeletal System: Basic Science, Pulse Sequences, and a Systematic Approach to Image Interpretation. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 2010; 92(Suppl 2): 105-116.
- Ponnusamy KE, Iyer S, Gupta G, Khanna AJ. Instrumentation of the Osteoporotic Spine: Biomechanical and Clinical Considerations. The Spine Journal. 2011;11(1): 54-63.
- Archer KR, Wegener ST, Seebach C, Song Y, Skolasky RL, Thornton C, Khanna AJ, Riley LH III. The Effect of Fear Avoidance Beliefs on Pain and Disability after Surgery for Lumbar and Cervical Degenerative Conditions. Spine, 2011; 36(19): 1554-1562.
- Schafer S, Nithananiathan S, Mirota DJ, Uneri A, Stayman JW, Zbijewski W, Schmidgunst C, Kleinszig G, Khanna AJ and Siewerdsen JH, Mobile C-Arm Cone-Beam CT for Guidance of Spine Surgery: Image Quality, Radiation Dose, and Integration with Interventional Guidance. Medical Physics, 2011;3(8):4563-74
- Khanna AJ. Introduction. Seminars in Spine Surgery, 2011; 23(2): 83.
- Dewan AK, Mirski MA, Khanna AJ. Perioperative Risk Assessment and Morbidity Associated with Lumbar Spine Surgery. Seminars in Spine Surgery, 2011; 23(2): 84-90.
- Chalian M, Soldatos T, Carrino JA, Belzberg AJ, Khanna AJ, Chhabra A. Prediction of Transitional Lumbosacral Anatomy on Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Lumbar Spine. World Journal of Radiology. 2012 Mar 28;4(3):97-101.
- Thakkar RS, Malloy JP IV, Thakkar SC, Carrino JA, Khanna AJ. Imaging the Postoperative Spine. Radiologic Clinics of North America, 2012; 50(4): 731-47.
- Uneri A, Schafer S, Mirota DJ, Nithiananthan S, Otake Y, Taylor RH, Gallia GL, Khanna AJ, Lee S, Reh DD, Siewerdsen JH. TREK: An Integrated System Architecture for Intraoperative Cone-beam CT-Guided Surgery. International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, 2012; 7(1): 159-173.
- Lee J, Stayman JW, Otake Y, Schafer S, Zbijewski W, Khanna AJ, Prince JL, Siewerdsen JH. Volume-of-Change Cone-Beam CT for Image-Guided Surgery. Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2012; 57: 4969-4989.
- Stayman JW, Otake Y, Prince JL, Khanna AJ, Siewerdsen JH. Model-Based Tomographic Reconstruction of Objects Containing Known Components. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 2012; (10):1837-48.
- Reaungamornrat S, Otake Y, Uneri A, Schafer S, Mirota DJ, Nithiananthan S, Stayman JW, Kleinszig G, Khanna AJ, Taylor RH, Siewerdsen JH. An On-Board Surgical Tracking and Video Augmentation System for C-Arm Image Guidance. International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, 2012; 7(5):647-65.
- Yoo J, Schafer S, Uneri A, Otake Y, Khanna AJ, Siewerdsen JH. An Electromagnetic "Tracker-in-Table" Configuration for X-Ray Fluoroscopy and Cone-Beam CT-Guided Surgery. International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, 2013; Jan;8(1):1-13.
- Otake Y, Schafer S, Stayman JW, Zbijewski W, Kleinszig G, Graumann R, Khanna AJ, and Siewerdsen JH. Automatic Localization of Vertebral Levels in X-Ray Fluoroscopy Using 3D-2D Registration: A Tool to Reduce Wrong-Site Surgery. Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2012; 57(17): 5485-5508.
- Dewan AK, Chhabra AB, Khanna AJ, Anderson MW, Brunton LM. Magnetic resonance imaging of the hand and wrist: techniques and spectrum of disease. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2013 May 15; 95(10):e68 (1-12).
- Dewan AK, Chhabra AB, Anderson MW, Brunton LM, Khanna AJ. Magnetic resonance imaging of the elbow: techniques and spectrum of disease. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Jul 17;95(14):e99 1-13.
- Khanna AJ. Commentary on the sedimentation sign: correlation with operative level in patients undergoing lumbar decompression for spinal stenosis. The Spine Journal. 2013; Aug;13(8):843-4.
- Mesfin A, Komanski CB, Khanna AJ. Failure of cement-augmented pedicle screws in the osteoporotic spine: a case report. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2013; Sep;4(3):84-88.
- Otake Y, Wang AS, Stayman JW, Uneri A, Kleinszig G, Vogt S, Khanna AJ, Gokaslan ZL,Siewerdsen JH. Robust 3D-2D image registration: Application to Spine Interventions and Vertebral Labeling in the Presence of Anatomical Deformation. Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2013; 58 (23): 8535-8553.
- Uneri A, Otake Y, Wang AS, Kleinszig G, Vogt S, Khanna AJ, Siewerdsen JH. 3D-2D Registration for Surgical Guidance: Effect of Projection View Angles on Registration Accuracy. Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2013; Dec 19;59(2): 271-287.
- Wang AS, Stayman JW, Otake Y, Kleinszig G, Vogt S, Gallia GL, Khanna AJ, and Siewerdsen JH. Soft-Tissue Imaging with C-Arm Cone-Beam CT Using Statistical Reconstruction. Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2014; 59(4): 1005-1026.
- Wang AS, Stayman JW, Otake Y, Vogt S, Kleinszig G, Khanna AJ, Gallia GL, and Siewerdsen JH. Low-Dose Preview for Patient-Specific, Task-Specific Technique Selection in Cone-Beam CT. Medical Physics, 2014; Medical Physics. 2014 Jul; 41(7):071915.
- Reaungamornrat S, Wang AS, Uneri A, Otake Y, Khanna AJ, and Siewerdsen JH. Deformable Image Registration with Local Rigidity Constraints for Cone-Beam CT Guided Spine Surgery. Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2014; 59 (14) 3761-3787.
- Uneri A, Wang AS, Otake Y, Kleinszig G, Vogt S, Khanna AJ, Gallia GL, Gokaslan ZL, Siewerdsen JH. Evaluation of low-dose limits in 3D-2D rigid registration for surgical guidance. Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2014;59(18): 5329-5345.
- Uneri A, De Silva T, Stayman JW, Kleinszig G, Vogt S, Khanna AJ, Gokaslan ZL, Wolinsky J-P, Siewerdsen JH. Known-Component 3D-2D Registration for Quality Assurance in Spine Surgery Pedicle Screw Placement", Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2015; 60(20):8007-24.
- Hassanzadeh H, Nandyala SV, Khanna AJ, An HS. Intraoperative Neurophysiologic Monitoring in Adult Spine Surgery. Seminars in Spine Surgery, 2015; 27(4): 209-213.
- Louie PK, Khanna AJ, Hassanzadeh H, Kebaish KM. Intraoperative Neurophysiologic Monitoring in High-Grade Spondylolisthesis. Seminars in Spine Surgery, 2015; 27(4): 217-221.
- Jain A, Khanna AJ, Hassanzadeh H. Management of Intraoperative Neuromonitoring Signal Loss. Seminars in Spine Surgery, 2015; 27(4): 229-232.
Activities & Honors
- Named 100 of the Best Spine Surgeons and Specialists in America, Becker’s Orthopaedic and Spine Review, 2011
- Named to 50 of the Best Spine Specialists in America, Becker’s Orthopaedic and Spine Review, 2010
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, D.C., 1994
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society (AOA), 1995
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), 1998
- American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI), 2003
- Georgetown University Alumni Association, 1995
- Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association, 1996
- North American Spine Society (NASS), 2002
- Spine Study Group, 2004
Videos & Media
When Should You Consider Spine Surgery?
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
The Johns Hopkins Medicine Report with WTOP-FM: treatment options for spnial stenosis. (12/28/2018)
NASS Video: A Systematic Approach to the Evaluation of Spine MRI Studies, HEALIO, February 12, 2015
AAOS Video: Arthritis of the Neck and Shoulder, A Nation in Motion