I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Jessica Linda Bienstock, M.D., M.P.H.
Director, Division of Education, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Expertise: Gynecology and Obstetrics, Maternal and Fetal Medicine, Multiple Gestations, Obstetrical Ultrasound, Obstetrics
Research Interests: fetal ultrasound abnormalities; fetal genetic disorders; medical education in obstetrics and gynecology
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-502-3200
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Jessica Bienstock is professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Her areas of clinical expertise include high-risk pregnancy conditions and prenatal diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. Dr. Bienstock serves as the director of the Gynecology and Obstetrics Residency Training Program at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Bienstock received her undergraduate degree in biology from Barnard College-Columbia University. She earned her M.D. from the State University of New York Downstate College of Medicine. She completed her residency at Beth Israel Medical Center and performed a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr. Bienstock also holds a master’s of public health from Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Bienstock joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1997.
Dr. Bienstock’s research interests include fetal ultrasound abnormalities, genetic conditions and improving medical education in obstetrics and gynecology.
Dr. Bienstock is a fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and holds memberships in the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine and the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics. She has served as a peer reviewer for numerous medical journals, including the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Journal of Graduate Medical Education.
- Director, Division of Education, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Director of Residency Program for Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education/DIO
- Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Centers & Institutes
- MD, SUNY at Brooklyn College of Medicine (1988)
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center / Obstetrics and Gynecology (1992)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Obstetrics and Gynecology (1997)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Maternal and Fetal Medicine (1999)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Obstetrics And Gynecology (1995)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
D’Alton, Ma, Hankins, G, Berkowitz, R Bienstock JL, et al. Executive Summary: Neonatal Encephalopathy and Neurologic Outcome, Obstetrics and Gynecology April 2014, Vol 123 Issue 4; p896-901.
Bienstock, JL, Edgar, L, McAllister, R, Obstetrics and Gynecology Milestones. Journal of Graduate Medical Education , March 2014 pgs 1-5.
Stohl H, Hueppchen NA, Bienstock JL. Thyroid disease and gestational diabetes: Is there a connection?". J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2013 Jul;26(11):1139-42
Eichholzer M, Platz EA, Bienstock JL, Monsegue D, Akereyeni F, Holiis BW, Horst R, Rifai N, Pollak MN, Barbir A, Argus-Collins T, Rohrmann S. Racial variation in vitamin D cord blood concentration in white and black male neonates. Cancer Causes Control.2013 Jan;24(1):91-8.
Lee AS, Cohen SL, Anderson JR, Chanmugam A, Bienstock JL. The Effect of Gynecologic Algorhythim Pathways on Emergency Department Visit Times. J Emerg Med. 2013 Jan;44(1):217-24.
Stohl HE, Bienstock JL, Wilson M, Hueppchen NA. Residents as teachers: A paradigm viewed positively by medical students in obstetrics and gynecology. Ann Behav Sci Med Educ 2012;18:19-22.
Agurs-Collins T, Rohrmann S, Sutcliffe C, Bienstock JL, Monsegue D, Akereyeni F, Bradwin G, Rifai N, Pollak MN, Platz EA. Racial variation in umbilical cord blood sex steroid hormones and the insulin-like growth factor axis in African-American and white female neonates. Cancer Causes Control. 2012 Mar;23(3):445-54.
Stohl HE, Hueppchen NA, Bienstock JL. The Utility of Letters of Recommendation in Predicting Resident Success: Can the ACGME Competencies Help?. J Grad Med Educ. 2011;3: 387-90.
Bradley LA, Palomaki GE, Bienstock J, Varga E, Scott JA. Can Factor V Leiden and prothrombin G20210A testing in women with recurrent pregnancy loss result in improved pregnancy outcomes? Results from a targeted evidence-based review. Genet Med. 2012 Jan;14(1):39-50.
van Landingham S, Bienstock J, Wood Denne E, Hueppchen N. Beyond the first trimester screen: Can we predict who will choose invasive testing? Genet Med. 2011;13:539-44
Holland MG and Bienstock JL. Recurrent ectopic pregnancy in a cesarean scar. Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Feb;111(2):541-5.
Ebert M, Esenkaya A, Huisman TA, Bienstock J, Kalayci TO, Poretti A, Tekes A. Multimodality, anatomical, and diffusion-weighted fetal imaging of a spontaneously thrombosing congenital dural sinus malformation. Neuropediatrics. 2012 Oct;43(5):279-82.
Bienstock JL, Birsner ML, Coleman F, Hueppchen NA. Successful in utero intervention for bilateral renal agenesis. Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Aug;124 (2 Pt 2):413-5
Book Chapters, Monographs, Books:
- Robinson E, Bienstock J. Fetal Assessment, Normal Labor, and Delivery, in: Lambrou N (Ed.), The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics. pp 20-23. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa., 1999.
- Bienstock J, Fox H. Comorbid Diseases in Pregnancy, in: Tintinalli J (Ed.), Emergency Medicine, 5th Edition. pp 702-706. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 2000
- Bienstock J, Fox H. Comorbid Diseases in Pregnancy, in: Tintinalli J (Ed.), Emergency Medicine, 6th Edition. pp 702-708. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 2003
- Bienstock J. Third Trimester Bleeding, in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 5th Edition. pp 209-215. Beckmann CR, Ling F, Smith R, Barzansky, Herbert W, Laube D, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA 2005.
- Bienstock J. Postpartum Hemorrhage, in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 5th Edition. pp 139-152. Beckmann CR, Ling F, Smith R, Barzansky, Herbert W, Laube D, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA 2005.
- Bienstock J. Abortion in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 5th Edition. pp 153-159. Beckmann CR, Ling F, Smith R, Barzansky, Herbert W, Laube D, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA 2005.
- Barker LR, Askin FB, Barone M, Bienstock JL, Clark D, Dover GJ, Fine D, Hart GW, Hillis A, MacDonald SM, Plotnick LP, Sterni LM, Thomas PA. Silver Book: Professional Development Guide for the Faculty of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Revised 2006.
- Lawson SM, Bienstock JL. Normal Labor and Delivery, Operative Delivery, and Malpresentation, in The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 3rd edition. pp 77-94. Fortner KB, Szymanski LM, Fox HE, Wallach EE, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA 2007.
- Szymanski LM, , Bienstock JL. Complications of labor and delivery, in The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 3rd edition. pp 99-109. Fortner KB, Szymanski LM, Fox HE, Wallach EE, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA 2007.
- Stohl H, Bienstock J. Using the Competencies to Become an Effective Teacher, in Obstetrics and Gynecology: A Competency-Based Companion, Belden M, editor. Elsevier, 2009.
- Bienstock J. Female Genitalia, in Mosby’s Physical Examination, 7th edition. pp 535-99.Seidel HM, editor. Mosby/Elsevier. St. Louis, MO 2011.
Guile M, Hurt KJ, Bienstock JL, Fox HE, Wallach EE. The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 4th edition, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA 2010.
Activities & Honors
- Baltimore Magazine “Top Doctors”, 2007
- CREOG National Faculty Teaching Award, 2005
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 2003
- APGO National Medical Student Education Award, 2002
- Humanism in Medicine Award Nominee - Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Association of American Medical Colleges, 2002
- Resident Education Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2008
- Delta Omega Honor Society, Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health, 1995
- Junior Faculty Award - Ambulatory Gynecology for the Practicing Internist, Society for General Internal Medicine, 1995
- Elliot Blumenthal Award for Outstanding Resident Research, Beth Israel Medical Center, 1992
- Berlex Foundation Resident Education Award, 1990
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 1995
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 1993
- Society of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, 1995
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
- Congresswoman's 'Miracle Baby' Born Without Kidneys Finally Gets One – from Her Dad: 'We Are Blessed,' People (04/2016)