I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Joseph Cofrancesco, Jr, M.D., M.P.H.
Director, Johns Hopkins Institute for Excellence in Education
Associate Professor of Medicine
Expertise: HIV/AIDS, Infectious Disease, Internal Medicine
Research Interests: Medical Education; HIV care; Complications of HIV treatment
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-0670
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Rockland Physician Practice and Research Group
Appointment Phone: 410-583-2900
10751 Falls Road
Falls Concourse Suite 412
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Dr. Joseph Cofrancesco Jr, is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include HIV/AIDS, infectious disease and internal medicine. Dr. Cofrancesco serves as the Director at the Institute for Excellence in Education at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Cofrancesco received his undergraduate degree from Columbia College, Columbia University, NY. He earned his MD from Mount Sinai School of Medicine, with honors (AOA), NY and earned his Masters of Public Health at the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health with honors in Baltimore. He completed his residency at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center in New York and completed his Cheif Residency/Ambulatory Medicine at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He performed his fellowship in General Internal Medicine at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine.
Currently Dr. Cofrancesco is an attending Physicians at Johns Hopkins Medicine and is faculty at the Thayer Firm.
- Director, Johns Hopkins Institute for Excellence in Education
- Director, GIM Clinician-Educator Mentoring and Scholarship Program
- Associate Professor, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, Department of Acute and Chronic Care
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine (1990)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1993)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Selected articles (not all):
- Cofrancesco J, Whalen JJ, Dobs AS. Testosterone Replacement Options for HIV-Infected Men. J AcquirImmune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol. 1997:16:254-265.
- Thomas PA, Cofrancesco J. The introduction of evidence based medicine into a clinical ambulatory clerkship. J Gen Intern Med .2001: 16:244-249
- Zhang H, Zhou Y, Alcock C, Keifer T, Monie D, Siliciano J, Li Q, Pham P, Cofrancesco J, Persaud D, Siliciano RF. Novel single-cell-level phenotypic assay for residual drug susceptibility and reduced replication capacity of drug-resistant human immunodeficiency virus type1 J.Virology.2004. 78(4), 1718-1729.
- Arrington R, Cofrancesco J, Wu AW. Questionnaires to Measure Sexual Quality of Life. Quality of Life Research.2004. 13, 1643-1658.
- Cofrancesco J, Brown, T, Martins C. Management Options for Facial Lipoatrophy The AIDSReader, 2004 Dec;14(12):639-40, 645-50.
- Nettles RE, Kieffer TL, Kwon P, Monie D, Han Y, Parsons T, Cofrancesco J, Gallant JE, Quinn TC, Jackson B, Flexner C, Carson K, Ray S, Persaud D, Siliciano RF, Intermittent HIV-1 Viremia (Blips) and the Evolution of Drug Reistance in Patients on Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy. JAMA. 2005 Feb 16:193.
- Cofrancesco J, Shah N, Ghanem KG. Dobs AS, Klein RS, Mayer K, Schuman P, Vlahov D, Rompalo AM. The Effects of Illicit Drug Use and HIV Infection on Sex Hormone Levels in Women. Gynecological Endocrinology. 2006 May;22(5): 244-251.
- Cho M, Ye X, Dobs AS, Cofrancesco, Jr J. Prevalence of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use among HIV patients for perceived lipodystrophy. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine: 2006:12(5): 474-482.
- Berkenblit G, Sullivan L, Sosman J, Gifford A, Cofrancesco Jr J. Update in HIV Care. J of Gen Internal Medicine.2007 Feb;22(2):253-6
- Brown TT, Cofrancesco J Jr. Metabolic Abnormalities in HIV-infected patients: An Update. CID. 2006:8:497-504.
- Reed DA, Levine RB, Miller RG, Ashar BH, Bass EB, Rice TN, Cofrancesco J Jr. Effect of residency duty-hour limits: views of key clinical faculty. Arch Intern Med. 2007 Jul 23;167(14):1487-92
- Cofrancesco J Jr, Brown TT, Luo RF, John M, Stewart KJ, Dobs AS. Body composition, gender, and illicit drug use in an urban cohort. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2007;33(3):467-74.
- Homsanit, M., K. E. Nelson, Sonjai A, Anekthananon T, Suwanagool S, Cofrancesco J Jr. "Body shape and metabolic abnormalities in Thai HIV-infected patients." AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. Nov 2007: 23(11):314-21
- Cofrancesco, J., Jr., Scherzer R, Tien PC, Gibert CL,Southwell H, Sidney S, Dobs A, Grunfeld C.et al. "Illicit drug use and HIV treatment outcomes in a US cohort." AIDS 22(3): 357-65. January 30, 2008.
- Reed DA, Levine RB, Miller RG, Ashar BH, Bass EB, Rice TN, Cofrancesco J Jr.Impact of Duty Hour Regulations on Medical Students Education: View of Key Clinical Faculty. J General Intern Med. 2008. 23 (7)1084-9.
- Peterson S, Martins C, Cofrancesco J Jr. "Lipodystrophy in the Patient with HIV: Social, Psychological and Treatment Considerations". Aesthet Surg J.2008:Aug;28(4):443-51 (invited review).
- Cofrancesco J Jr, Freedland E, McComsey G. Treatment Options for HIV-Associated Central Fat Accumulation". AIDS Patient Care STDs. 2009 Jan;23(1):5-18.
- Cofrancesco J, Wu AW. "HIV care and General Internal Medicine: the next generation". J.Gen Intern Med. 2001:16: 9. (editorial)
- Luo R. Cofrancesco J. " Injection drug use and HIV transmission in Russia". AIDS. 2006:20:935-936. (editorial)
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Activities & Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1990
- Delta Omega, (Alpha Chapter), 1997
- Humanism in Medicine Award, national finalist, AAMC, 2001
- Ambulatory Precepotor Award, Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine, 2005
- Fellow, of the American College of Physicians, 2005
- Top Docs, Baltimore, Baltimore Magazine,, 2007
- Listed, Marquis Who's Who In America, 2007
- Consumers Research Council of America, 2008
- Continental Who's Who, 2009
- Top Doctors, The Global Director of Who's Who, 2009
- Professor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2012
- American College of Physicians
- International AIDS Society
- Society of General Internal Medicine