I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Barbara Jane De Lateur, M.D.
Lawrence Cardinal Shehan Professor
Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Languages: English, Spanish
Expertise: Deconditioning, Musculoskeletal Disorders, Neuromuscular Disease, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Prevention of Frailty
Research Interests: Musculoskeletal and neuromuscular disorders causing problems with mobility; prevention of frailty; deconditioning
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 443-997-5476
4940 Eastern Avenue AA Suite 1654 Baltimore, MD 21224
Phone: 410-550-5299 | Fax: 410-550-1345
Barbara De Lateur is a professor of physical medicine and rehabilitation at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Dr. De Lateur dedicated over 50 years to helping thousands of people improve their quality of life through her expertise in musculoskeletal disorders and neuromuscular diseases.
In over 200 publications, she wrote extensively about prevention of frailty, benefits of exercise, and many other important issues. Dr. De Lateur also took part in establishing physical medicine and rehabilitation residency program at Johns Hopkins, passing on her wealth of knowledge to future generations of doctors.
In 2016, she was recognized by the University of Washington School of Medicine as a distinguished alumna.
- Lawrence Cardinal Shehan Professor
- Director Emerita, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Distinguished Service Professor, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Departments / Divisions
- MD, University Of Washington School Of Medicine (1963)
- University of Washington / Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (1967)
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehab / Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (1970)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
deLateur BJ, Esselman PC. Dr. Justus Lehmann: expanding the frontiers of physical medicine and rehabilitation. PM R. 2013 Jul;5(7):547-53. doi: 10.1016/j.pmrj.2013.05.014. No abstract available. PMID: 23880042
deLateur BJ, Shore WS. Recruitment and retention issues in clinical trials. PM R. 2013 Feb;5(2):159-60. doi: 10.1016/j.pmrj.2012.12.008. No abstract available. PMID: 23415253
Kanderian SS, Delateur BJ, Shore WS, Rose JG, Carson KA, Whitcomb LL. A portable device for quantification of forearm muscle tone. PM R. 2011 Nov;3(11):1075-6. doi: 10.1016/j.pmrj.2011.04.016. No abstract available. PMID: 22108235
Baima J, Trovato M, Hopkins M, Delateur B. Achieving functional ambulation in a patient with Chopart amputation. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2008 Jun;87(6):510-3. doi: 10.1097/PHM.0b013e318174eb75. PMID: 18496252
Mayer RS, Shah A, DeLateur BJ, Durso SC. Proposal for a required advanced clerkship in chronic disease and disability for medical students. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2008 Feb;87(2):162-7. No abstract available. PMID: 17993988
Activities & Honors
- The Gold Key, American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- The Krusen Award and the Distinguished Clinician Award, American Academy of PM&R
- Distinguished Member, Association of Academic Physiatrists
- Top Docs
- Who's Who in Medicine
- Who's Who in Science and Engineering
- Who's Who in America
- Who's Who in the World
- The Golden Goniometer Award for resident teaching
- University of Washington School of Medicine Distinguished Alumna Award, 2016
- American Academy of PM&R
- American Burn Association
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Association of Academic Physiatrists