I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Virginia Marie Weaver, M.D., M.P.H.
Joint Appointment in Medicine
Expertise: Occupational Medicine, Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine
Research Interests: Biomarkers; Environmental exposure; Chemical exposure; Carcinogens; Medical surveillance programs
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-955-6211
1800 Orleans St. Sheikh Zayed Tower Baltimore, MD 21287
Dr. Virginia Weaver holds a joint appointment in medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She is an associate professor of environmental health sciences at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Her research focuses on the use of molecular epidemiology tools in the evaluation of chemically exposed populations.
Her team is currently engaged in examining the impact of metals on kidney function.
Dr. Weaver received her B.A. from the University of Rochester. She earned her M.D. from the New York University School of Medicine and her M.P.H. from Johns Hopkins. She directed the Occupational and Environmental Medicine Residency Program at Johns Hopkins from 2006 to 2014.
She is a member of the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) Medical Advisory Board. Her work has been recognized by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health with an award in teaching excellence for "Clinical Environmental and Occupational Toxicology.”
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
- B.A., University of Rochester (New York) (1980)
- M.D., New York University School of Medicine - (New York) (1984)
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Maryland) (1991)
Research & Publications
Dr. Weaver’s research interests involve the use of molecular epidemiology tools in the evaluation of chemically exposed populations. The validation of exposure and early biological effect markers for research and medical surveillance is a primary focus. Her main area of research is the impact of occupational and environmental toxicants on the kidney. Current work examines the impact of metals on kidney function, including clinical measures and early biological effect markers, such as urinary N-acetyl-beta-D-glucosaminidase. Study populations include lead workers in South Korea and environmentally exposed adolescents in Mexico.
Weaver VM, Kotchmar DJ, Fadrowski JJ, Silbergeld E. "Challenges for environmental epidemiology research: Are biomarker concentrations altered by kidney function or urine concentration adjustment?" Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology. 2015;Mar 4. doi: 10.1038/jes.2015.8
Weaver VM, García Vargas GG, Silbergeld EK, Rothenberg SJ, Fadrowski JJ, Rubio-Andrade M, Parsons PJ, Steuerwald AJ, Navas-Acien A, Guallar E. "Impact of urine concentration adjustment method on associations between urine metals and estimated glomerular filtration rates (eGFR) in adolescents." Environmental Res. 2014;132:226-232. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2014.04.013
Weaver VM, Kim N-S, Lee B-K, Parsons PJ, Spector J, Fadrowski J, Jaar BG, Steuerwald AJ, Todd AC, Simon D, and Schwartz BS. "Differences in urine cadmium associations with kidney outcomes based on serum creatinine and cystatin C." Environ Res. 2011;111:1236–1242. doi:10.1016/j.envres.2011.07.012.
Weaver VM, Fadrowski J, Jaar BG. "Does calcium disodium ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (CaEDTA) slow chronic kidney disease progression?" Am J Kidney Dis. 2012;60(4):503-506. http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2012.07.006
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Clinical Environmental and Occupational Toxicology
Activities & Honors
- Teaching Excellence for "Clinical Environmental and Occupational Toxicology,", Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2009 - 2014
- AMTRA (Advising, Mentoring & Teaching Recognition Award), Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Student Assembly, 2009
- Ho-Ching Yang Memorial Faculty Fellowship in Cancer Prevention, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 1995
- Delta Omega Honorary Public Health Society - Alpha Chapter, Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health and Hygiene, 1991
- Occupational Physicians Scholarship Fund Award, 1990 - 1992
- International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) Medical Advisory Board, 1995