I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Dean Frederick MacKinnon, M.D.
Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Expertise: Adult Psychiatry, Affective Disorders, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Mood Disorders, Psychiatry, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Research Interests: bipolar disorder endophenotypes
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5212
600 N. Wolfe Street
Meyer Building, Suite 3-181
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
My clinical interest is in the evaluation and treatment of patients with complex and treatment refractory depression, manic depressive illness, and anxiety. My research interest revolves around the problem of identifying the phenotypic boundaries of bipolar disorder(s). Specifically, I have identified panic disorder and rapid switching as phenomenological features of bipolar illness that may lead to biologically meaningful subtypes. I am also interested in the psychophysiology of anxiety as it relates to mood disorders. Most of my time and energy for teaching is devoted to running the first year psychiatry course.
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of California San Diego School of Medicine (1990)
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology / Psychiatry (1995)
Research & Publications
Selected 1st and Senior Author Publications
- MacKinnon DF, Squire LR, "Autobiographical Memory and Amnesia," Psychobiology 1989; 17:247-256.
- MacKinnon DF, McMahon FJ, Simpson SG, McInnis MG, DePaulo JR, "Panic Disorder with Familial Bipolar Disorder," Biological Psychiatry 1997; 42:90-95.
- MacKinnon DF, Jamison KR, DePaulo JR, "Genetics of Manic Depressive Illness," Annual Review of Neuroscience 1997; 20:355-73.
- MacKinnon DF, Affective Disorders, Encyclopedia of Stress, Fink, G, Academic Press (2000).
- MacKinnon, DF, The Patient Thinking of Suicide, Common Psychiatric and Neurologic Problems in Primary Care, Hurko O and Slavney PR, eds., Johns Hopkins University Press (2001).
- MacKinnon DF and DePaulo JR, Disorders of Mood, Diseases of the Nervous System: Clinical Neuroscience and Therapeutic Principles, 3rd edition, Ashbury AK, McKhann G, McDonald WI, Goadsby PJ, McArthur JC, eds., Cambridge University Press (2002).
- MacKinnon DF and Hoehn-Saric R, Is There a Common Etiology for Depression and Anxiety? Handbook of Anxiety and Depression, Kasper S, den Boer JA, Sitsen JMA, eds., Marcel Dekker, NY (2003).
- MacKinnon DF, Zandi PP, Cooper J, Potash JB, Simpson SG, Gershon E, Nurnberger J, Reich T, DePaulo JR. Comorbid bipolar disorder and panic disorder in families with a high prevalence of bipolar disorder. Am J Psychiatry 2002; 159:30-5.
- MacKinnon DF, Zandi PP, Gershon E, Nurnberger JI Jr., Reich T, DePaulo JR. Rapid switching of mood in families with multiple cases of bipolar disorder, Arch Gen Psychiatry 2003; 60:921-928.
- MacKinnon, DF and Pies, R. Affective instability as rapid cycling: theoretical and clinical implications for borderline personality and bipolar spectrum disorders. Bipolar.Disord. 2006; 8:1-14
- MacKinnon, DF and Zamoiski, R. Panic comorbidity with bipolar disorder: what is the manic-panic connection? Bipolar.Disord 2006; 8:648-64
- MacKinnon, D. F., Craighead, B, and Hoehn-Saric, R. Carbon Dioxide Provocation of Anxiety and Respiratory Response in Bipolar Disorder. J Affect Disord 2007; 99:45-9
- Nwulia EA, Zandi PP, McInnis MG, DePaulo JR, MacKinnon DF. Rapid Switching of Mood in Families With Familial Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar Disord 2008 10:597-606.
- MacKinnon DF. Bipolar Diosrder as Maladaptive Arousal: A Behavioral Model and Evidence. Annals of the NY Academy of Science 2008 1129:185-9.
- MacKinnon DF, Craighead B, Lorenz L. Carbon dioxide induces erratic respiratory responses in bipolar disorder. J Affect Disord 2009 112:193-200.
- National Coalition for Health Professional Education in Genetics. Genetics and Major Psychiatric Disorders: A Program for Genetic Counselors, CD-ROM, 2002.
- Development of a problem and function-based preclinical psychiatry course. Poster presentation for annual meeting of the Association for Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry (ADMSEP), June 2009.
Activities & Honors
- American Psychiatric Association, 1996
- American Psychopathological Association, 2000
- Association for Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry, 2007
- Maryland Psychiatric Society, 1991
- Public Affairs Committee, 1994 - 1995
- Residents Committee, 1992 - 1994