I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Chester W Schmidt, Jr, M.D.
Medical Director, Sexual Behaviors Consultation Unit, Johns Hopkins Hospital
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Expertise: Administrative Psychiatry, Adult Psychiatry, Psychiatry, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Sexual Disorders and Dysfunctions
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Dr. Chester Schmidt is a professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include administrative psychiatry, adult psychiatry, and sexual disorders and dysfunctions. Dr. Schmidt is the medical director of the Sexual Behaviors Consultation Unit at Johns Hopkins Hospital, which he co-founded.
Dr. Schmidt earned his M.D. from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and completed a residency and fellowship in psychiatry at Johns Hopkins. He also completed a residency in medicine at Stanford University School of Medicine. He has been on faculty at Johns Hopkins for decades and served as the long-time director of psychiatry at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.
He was awarded the 2012 Lifetime of Service Award from the Maryland Psychiatric Society for his contributions to the field of psychiatry.
Dr. Schmidt is certified in psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
- Medical Director, Sexual Behaviors Consultation Unit, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1960)
- Stanford University School of Medicine / Medicine (1962)
- Gap in Chronology (1963)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Psychiatry (1967)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1970)
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology / Psychiatry-General (1970)
Research & Publications
Fauerbach, J.A., Lawrence, J., Haythornthwaite, J., Richter, D., McGuire, M., Schmidt, C.W. and Munster, A.: Preburn psychiatric history affects posttrauma morbidity. Psychosomatics. 38:374-385, 1997.
Activities & Honors
- Lifetime of Service Award, Maryland Psychiatric Society, 2012