I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Marilee Allen, M.D.
Professor of Pediatrics
Expertise: Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, Neonatology, Neurodevelopmental Disorders
Research Interests: Neonatal Ethics; Neurodevelopmental outcomes of the premature infant; Limits of viability; Risk factors for abnormal developmental outcomes ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5259
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Marilee Allen is a professor of pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Her areas of clinical expertise include neonatal-perinatal medicine and neurodevelopmental disabilities.
Dr. Allen earned a B.S. in biological sciences from Cornell University and received her M.D. from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. She completed a residency at Johns Hopkins as well as fellowships in developmental pediatrics at the John F. Kennedy Institute for Handicapped Children and in neonatology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. She joined the faculty of Johns Hopkins in 1981.
Her research is related to the neurodevelopmental outcomes of the premature infant and neonatal ethics.
Dr. Allen is a fellow of the American Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine and the American Academy of Pediatrics, and a member of numerous professional organizations including the American Pediatric Society, the Society for Developmental Pediatrics and the Society for Pediatric Research. She has published extensively and has won several awards and honors for her research.
- Professor of Pediatrics
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1976)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (1979)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Neonatology (1981)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine (1983)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (1981)
Research & Publications
Dr. Allen’s research is related to the neurodevelopmental outcomes of the premature infant and neonatal ethics.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Stewart A, Tekes A, Huisman TA, Jennings JM, Allen MC, Northington FJ, Everett AD, Graham EM. "Glial fibrillary acidic protein as a biomarker for periventricular white matter injury." Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013 Jul;209(1):27.e1-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2013.02.049. Epub 2013 Mar 1.
Allen MC, Cristofalo EA, Kim C. "Outcomes of preterm infants: morbidity replaces mortality." Clin Perinatol. 2011 Sep;38(3):441-54. doi: 10.1016/j.clp.2011.06.011.
Donohue PK, Gilmore MM, Cristofalo E, Wilson RF, Weiner JZ, Lau BD, Robinson KA, Allen MC. "Inhaled nitric oxide in preterm infants: a systematic review." Pediatrics. 2011 Feb;127(2):e414-22. doi: 10.1542/peds.2010-3428. Epub 2011 Jan 10.
Allen MC, Donohue P, Gilmore M, Cristofalo E, Wilson RF, Weiner JZ, Robinson K. "Inhaled nitric oxide in preterm infants." Evid Rep Technol Assess (Full Rep). 2010 Oct;(195):1-315.
Donohue PK, Boss RD, Shepard J, Graham E, Allen MC. "Intervention at the border of viability: perspective over a decade." Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009 Oct;163(10):902-6.
Activities & Honors
- American Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Pediatric Society
- Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association
- Johns Hopkins University Women's Network
- Johns Hopkins Women's Medical Association
- Kennedy Fellows Association
- Maryland Perinatal Association
- National Perinatal Association
- Society for Developmental Pediatrics
- Society for Pediatric Research
- Steering Committee, Women’s Leadership Council, Johns Hopkins
- Co-Chair, Women’s Leadership Council Mentoring Committee, Johns Hopkins