I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Edward Paul Shapiro, M.D.
Director, Non-Invasive Cardiac Imaging at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Cardiac Imaging, Cardiovascular Disease, Echocardiography, Ischemic Heart Disease, Non-invasive Imaging, Valvular Heart Disease
Research Interests: Cardiac CT; Left ventricular deformation; Left atrial function
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Dr. Shapiro is a professor of Medicine at Johns Hopkins University and director of the non-invasive cardiology labs at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. He trained at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in internal medicine and at the University of Chicago in Cardiology. He has long term interests in cardiac imaging, left ventricular deformation, left ventricular diastolic function, and non-invasive imaging, and has published more than 100 papers on these subjects. His original work utilized echocardiography, then cardiac MRI, and now cardiac CT. Currently, in addition to seeing and following patients with a wide variety of cardiac diseases, he is devoting much of his time toward teaching and research in cardiac CT angiography.
Dr. Shapiro directs the Johns Hopkins Cardiac CT Practicum, a course that trains cardiologists and radiologists to interpret Cardiac CT, that has become popular and well known the world over.
- Director, Non-Invasive Cardiac Imaging at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD; Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1976)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Medicine (1978)
- Brompton Hospital / Echocardiography (1980)
- The University of Chicago / Cardiology (1980)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Cardiovascular Disease (1981)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1979)
Research & Publications
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Cardiac CT Practicum co-director
Activities & Honors
- Member, Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Society, 1976
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology, 1982
- Member, American Society of Echocardiography, 1989
- Founding member, Society for Cardiac Magnetic Resonance, 1995
- Fellow, American Heart Association, 2000
- Founding member, Society for Cardiac CT, 2006
- Fellow, Society for Cardiac CT, 2012