I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Bruce Alan Perler, M.B.A., M.D.
4.7 out of 5
Vice Chair for Clinical Operations and Financial Affairs
Professor of Surgery
Expertise: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA), Aneurysms, Angiography, Angioplasty, Aortic Stent-Grafts/Endografts, Aortic Surgery, Arterial Ultrasound, Arteriovenous Malformations (AVM), Atherosclerosis, Cardiovascular Diseases, Carotid Artery Disease, Carotid Artery Stenosis, Carotid Artery Stenting, Carotid Endarterectomy, Carotid Ultrasound, Cerebrovascular Diseases, Claudication, Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Diabetic Foot Care, Endovascular Surgery, Limb Salvage Surgery, Non-Invasive Flow Studies (NIFS), Peripheral Vascular Disease, Popliteal Artery Aneurysms, Renal Artery Disease, Renal Vascular Disease, Revascularization, Stenting, Stroke, Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms, Ulcers, Varicose Veins, Vascular Conditions, Vascular Disease , Vascular Surgery, Venous Insufficiency ...read more
Research Interests: Stroke prevention; Clinical Outcomes analysis; Cost efficacy of new/evolving technologies
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2618
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2618
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Bruce Perler completed his internship and residency in general surgery, and a clinical and research fellowship in vascular surgery, at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Dr. Perler had edited several textbooks including Vascular Intervention: A Clinical Approach, Advances in Vascular Surgery, and Rutherfords Vascular Surgery. He is currently the Co-Editor of Rutherford's Textbook of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy, 9th edition. He has authored nearly 200 peer-reviewed medical journal articles and textbook chapters on the diagnosis and treatment of the entire spectrum of circulatory diseases. He serves on the Editorial Boards of several vascular surgical journals, and has most recently served as the Senior Editor of The Journal of Vascular Surgery, the Journal of Vascular Surgery: Venous and Lymphatic Disorders, and the Journal of Vascular Surgery Cases.
He has delivered more than 200 lectures at national and international symposia and postgraduate courses. He serves on the Board of Directors of the Society for Vascular Surgery, and is past president of the Eastern Vascular Society the Southern Association for Vascular Surgery, and the Chesapeake Vascular Society. He also is the immediate past president of the Society for Vascular Surgery, the largest vascular surgical organization in the world with more than 5,400 members.
In December 2015, he was named Associate Executive Director for Vascular Surgery of the American Board of Surgery (ABS).
In this position, Dr. Perler oversees all ABS activities associated with vascular surgery assessment and board certification. He will continue to work at Johns Hopkins, both practicing vascular and endovascular surgery and in his departmental administrative position, while fulfilling this role at the ABS.
“Dr. Perler’s vast experience in vascular surgery education will be a tremendous asset as we seek to continuously improve our certification and MOC processes for vascular surgeons,” said Dr. Frank R. Lewis, executive director of the American Board of Surgery at the time of the announcement. “We look forward to the contributions Dr. Perler will bring to the ABS.”
- Vice Chair for Clinical Operations and Financial Affairs
- Chief Emeritus, Division of Vascular Surgery & Endovascular Therapy
- Director of the Noninvasive Vascular Laboratory
- Julius Jacobson, II Professor of Surgery
- Professor of Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery - Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy
Centers & Institutes
- MD; Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine (1976)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Surgery (1981)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Vascular Surgery (1982)
- American Board of Surgery / Vascular Surgery (1989)
- Associate Executive Director for Vascular Surgery, American Board of Surgery (ABS)
- President, Society for Vascular Surgery
- Previous president, Southern Association for Vascular Surgery, the Eastern Vascular Society and the Chesapeake Vascular Society
- Executive Council, Association of Program Directors in Vascular Surgery
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial Keywordsaortic aneurysm stent grafts, Carotid stent
Pivotal Study of the Safety and Effectiveness of autologous Bone Marrow aspirate Concentrate for the Treatment of Critical Limb Ischemia due to Peripheral Arterial Occlusive Disease, Harvest Technologies Corporation. 2/17/2102-2/17/2015
Brooke BS, McGirt MJ, Woodworth GF, Chang DC, Roseborough GS, Freischlag JA, Perler BA. Preoperative Statin and Diuretic Use: Do They Influence the Clinical presentation of Patients Undergoing Carotid Endarterectomy? J Vasc Surg 45: 298-303 (2007).
Perler BA. When I Grow Up I Want to Be Successful Like Daddy. I Just Don't Want to be a Doctor. J Vasc Surg 45: 627-634 (2007).
Cronenwett JL, Seeger JM, Messina LM, Perler BA. Reviewer Responsibility. J Vasc Surg 46:181 (2007).
Perler BA. Should Statins Be Given Routinely Before Carotid Endarterectomy? Perspectives Vasc Surg and Endovasc Therap 19:240-246 (2007).
Perler BA. The Effect of Statin Medication On Perioperative and Long-Term, Outcomes Following Carotid Endarterectomy. Semin Vasc Surg 20: 252-258 (2007).
Perler BA. Outlook Commentary: Has Evidence Changed Practice? Appropriateness of Carotid Endarterectomy After the Clinical Trials. Perspectives in Vasc Endovasc Surg 19:409-410 (2007)
Woodworth GF, McGirt MJ, Than KD, Huang J, Perler BA, Tamargo RJ. Selective Versus Routine Intraoperative Shunting During Carotid Endarterectomy: A Multivariate Outcome Analysis. Neurosurgery 61:1170-1176 (2007).
Perler B.A. Branding of Vascular Surgery. Perspectives Vasc Surg and Endovasc Therap 20:6-8 (2008).
Perler BA. Invited Critique: Carotid Endarterectomy as the Criterion Standard in High Risk Elderly Patients. Arch Surg 143:742 (2008).
Nazarian SM, Yenoyan G, Thompson RE, Griswold ME, Chang DC, Perler BA. Statistical Modeling of the Volume-Outcome Effect for Carotid Endarterectomy for 10 Years of a Statewide Database. J Vasc Surg 48:343-350 (2008).
Hobson RW II, Mackey WC, Ascher E, Murad MH, Calligaro KD, Comerota AJ, Montori VM, Eskandari MK, Massop DW, Bush RL, Lal, BK, Perler BA. Management of Atherosclerotic Carotid Artery Disease: Clinical Practice Guidelines of the Society for Vascular Surgery. J Vasc Surg 48:480-486 (2008).
Brooke BS, Perler BA, Dominici F, Makary MA, Pronovost PJ. Reduction of In-Hospital Mortality Among Hospitals Meeting Leapfrog Evidence-Based Standards for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair. J Vasc Surg 47:1155-1164 (2008).
De Leon , Chang DC, Hassoun HT, Black JH, Roseborough GS, Perler BA, Rotellini-Coltvet L, Call D, Busse C. Multiple Treatment Algorithms for Successful Lutcomes in Venous Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Surgery 145: 500-507 (2009).
Sidawy AN, Perler . A Tribute To: Jack L. Cronenwett, MD, Editor-in-Chief James M. Seeger, MD, Senior Editor the Journal of Vascular Surgery January 1, 2003-December 31, 2008. J Vasc Surg 49:1-2 (2009).
Sidawy AN, Perler, BA. A Message from the New Editors. J Vasc Surg 49:3 (2009).
Brooke BS, Meguid RA, Makary MA, Perler BA, Pronovost PJ, Pawlik TM. Improving Surgical Outcomes through Adoption of Evidence-Based Process Measures: Intervention Specific or associated with Overall Hospital Quality? Surgery 147:481-490 (2010).
Chang DC, Shiozawa A, Nguyen LL, Chrouser KL, Perler A, Freischlag. Colombani PM, Abdullah F. Cost of Inpatient Care and its Association with Hospital Competition. J Amer Coll Surg 212:12-19 (2011).
Freischlag JA, Lawrence PF, Perler BA. The Society for Vascular Surgery will Participate in a New Global Vascular Practice Guidelines Initiative. J Vasc Surg 59:510 (2014).
Activities & Honors
- Who's Who in America, 2013
- Baltimore-Washington Top Doctors, 2012
- Baltimore-Washington-Northern Virginia Super Doctors, 2012
- America's Top Surgeons, 2012
- America's Top Doctors, 2012
- Top Doctors: Washington-Baltimore, 2012
- Who's Who in America, 2012
- Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare 2011-2012, 2011
- US News & World Report Top Doctors, 2011
- America's Top Doctors, 2011
- Best Doctors in America, 2011
- Who's Who in America, 2011
- Washington, D.C.-Baltimore-Northern Virginia Super Doctors, 2011
- Americas Top Doctors, 2010
- Who's Who in America, 2010
- Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare, 2009
- America's Top Surgeons, 2009
- Cambridge Who's Who Among Executives, Professionals and Entrepreneurs, 2009
- Who's Who in America, 2009
- Americas Top Doctors, 2008
- Marquis Who's Who in America, 2008
- Baltimore's Top Doctors, Baltimore Magazine, 2007
- Americas Best Doctors, 2007
- Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 10th Edition, 2007
- Marquis Who's Who in America, 2006
- Marquis Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare, 7th Edition, 2006
- Marquis Who's Who in the East, 34th Edition, 2006
- Marquis Who's Who in America, 61st Edition, 2006 - 2007
- Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 9th Edition, 2006
- Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins surgical house staff, 2001
- American College of Surgeons
- American Surgical Association
- Association for Academic Surgery
- Baltimore Academy of Surgery
- Chesapeake Vascular Society
- Eastern Vascular Society
- Society for Vascular Surgery
- Society for Vascular Ultrasound
- Society of University Surgeons
- Southern Association for Vascular Surgery
- Associate Executive Director for Vascular Surgery of the American Board of Surgery
- Charles J. Tegtmeyer, 21st Annual International Symposium on Endovascular Therapy, Miami Cardiac and Vascular Institute, 2009
- Invited Lecturer, Massachusetts General Hospital, 2009
- Consultant, Circulatory Devices Panel, 1989
- Consultant, Center for Devices and Radiologic Health of the Food and Drug Administration
- Expert Panel, Interventional Radiology, 1989
- Expert Panel, American College of Radiology Task Force on Appropriateness Criteria, 1996
- Surgical Chair, Transatlantic Asymptomatic Carotid Intervention Trial
Videos & Media
Heart & Vascular Institute Overview
Meet our Experts - Dr. Bruce Perler
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
The Scan That Saved My Life, The Wall Street Journal (8/25/2018)