I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Thomas S Kickler, M.D.
Director of Hematology and Coagulation Laboratory, Department of Pathology
Professor of Pathology
Expertise: Hemostasis, Immunohematology, Pathology, Platelet Function Disorders
Research Interests: Pharmacogenomics of anti-coagulant agents; The role of platelet activation in coronary artery restenosis; Atherosclerosis in HIV infection; Platelet activation in response to chronic cocaine ingestion ...read more
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Thomas Kickler is a professor of medicine, oncology and pathology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include hemostasis, pathology and platelet function disorders. Dr. Kickler serves as director of the Hematology and Coagulation Laboratory in the Department of Pathology.
He received his undergraduate degree and M.D. from the University of West Virginia. He completed residencies at the Mayo Clinic Medical School College of Medicine and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He performed a fellowship in hematology at the University of Rochester. Dr. Kickler joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1980.
Dr. Kickler's research interests include the pharmacogenomics of anti-coagulant agents and the role of platelet activation in coronary artery restenosis.
He was executive director of the Eugene and Mary B. Meyer Center for Advanced Transfusion Practices and Blood Research at Johns Hopkins from 1999 to 2003. He is the author of more than 150 peer-reviewed publications.
- Director of Hematology and Coagulation Laboratory, Department of Pathology
- Professor of Pathology
- Professor of Medicine
- Professor of Oncology
- Medicine, West Virginia University School of Medicine (1973)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Clinical Pathology (1976)
- Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education / Internal Medicine (1978)
- University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry / Hematology (1980)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Hematology (1980)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1978)
- American Board of Pathology / Clinical Pathology (1984)
Research & Publications
Dr. Kickler's clinical research involves the study of pathologic blood clotting in variety of clinical disorders. Current research is in Pharmacogenomics of anti-coagulant agents, the role of platelet activation in coronary artery restenosis, atherosclerosis in HIV infection, and platelet activation in response to chronic cocaine ingestion.
He is also studying novel biomarkers of coagulation activation in patients with anti-phospholipid syndrome. Dr. Kickler directs the hematology laboratories and coagulation laboratories which are used to evaluate patients seen in the Hematology Clinic and Hemophilia Center.
He teaches laboratory hematology to hematology fellows and attends in the fellows clinic.
Core Facility: Blood Disorders & Special Coagulation
- Gluckman TJ, Segal JB, Fredde NL, Saland KE, Jani JT, Walenga JM, Prechel MM, Citro KM, Zidar DA, Fox E, Schulman SP, Kickler TS, Rade JJ. "Incidence of antiplatelet factor 4/heparin antibody induction in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary revascularization." Am J Cardiol. 2005 Mar 15;95(6):744-7.
- Slichter SJ, Davis K, Enright H, Braine H, Gernsheimer T, Kao KJ, Kickler T, Lee E, McFarland J, McCullough J, Rodey G, Schiffer CA, Woodson R. "Factors affecting posttransfusion platelet increments, platelet refractoriness, and platelet transfusion intervals in thrombocytopenic patients. Blood. 2005 May 15;105(10):4106-14. Epub 2005 Feb 3.
- Streiff MB, Segal J, Grossman SA, Kickler TS, Weir EG. "ABO blood group is a potent risk factor for venous thromboembolism in patients with malignant gliomas." Cancer. 2004 Apr 15;100(8):1717-23.
- Ganesh K, Billings Y, Sharma K, Dayhoff J, Fales HM, Kickler TS, Nabel EG. "A novel MALDI-TOF mass spectroscopic proteomic technique for serumbiomarker assessment in venous thromboembolism." Circulation. 2003;108(17):560.
- Brotman DJ, Segal JB, Jani JT, Petty BG, Kickler TS. "Limitations of D-dimer testing in unselected inpatients with suspected venous thromboembolism." Am J Med. 2003 Mar;114(4):276-82.
Takemoto, C.M, Jani J, Streiff Mj, Chen J, Kickler, T. Activated partial thromboplastin time and anti-xa measurements in heparin monitoring: biochemical basis for discordance. Am J Clin Pathol. 139:450-6, 2013.
Kakououse N, Kickler T, Rade J. J Thromb Haemost 11(10) 1814-22, 2013 . Hematocrit alters Verify P2Y12 assay results independently of intrinsic platelet reactivity and clopridogrel responsiveness.
DeFillipis AP, Oloyede OS, Guallar E, Blumenthal RS, Kickler TS, Rade JJ. Thromboxane generation in absence of Cox-1 activity in patients with myocardial infarction. Circulation 77(11) 2786-93, 2014.
Lai H, Stitzer M, Treisman G, Moore R, Brinker J, Gerstenblith G, Kickler TS, Li J, Chen S, Fishman E, Lai S. Cocaine abstinence and reduced use associated with lowered marker of endothelial dysfunction in African Americans, J Addict Med. 2015 Jul 7.
Streiff MB, Ye X, Kickler TS, Desideri S, Jani J, Fisher J, Grossman SA. A prospective multicenter study of venous thromboembolism in patients with newly diagnosed high grade glioma, hazard rates and risk factors. J Neurooncol. 2015 Jun 23.
Gavriilaki E, Yuan X, Ye Z, Ambinder AJ, Shanbhag SP, Streiff MB, Kickler TS Brodsky RA Modified Ham test for atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome. .Blood. 2015 Jun 4;125(23):3637-46.