I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Henry Eric Fessler, M.D.
Director, Fellowship Training Program in Pulmonary and Critical Care
Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Critical Care Medicine, Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine
Research Interests: Heart-lung interaction; Lung mechanics; Mechanical ventilation
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5000
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0100
5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle
Asthma and Allergy Center
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Henry Fessler is a professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He holds a joint appointment in health policy and management at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. His areas of clinical expertise include pulmonary disease and critical care medicine.
Dr. Fessler serves as the director of the fellowship program in pulmonary and critical care medicine and the assistant dean for undergraduate medical education at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
He earned his M.D. from Rutgers University. He completed his residency at Hartford Hospital and fellowships in pulmonary and critical care medicine and environmental physiology at Johns Hopkins.
Dr. Fessler's research interests include heart-lung interactions, lung mechanics, mechanical ventilation, and medical education.
He directs the Genes to Society integrated Medicine course at the School of Medicine and shares oversight of the four-year medical school curriculum. He developed the advanced critical care clerkship, recognized by the Johns Hopkins Institute for Excellence in Education with their award for an educational program in 2014. He is the 2014 recipient of the Professors Award for teaching in the clinical sciences, the 2016 Outstanding Educator Award from the Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Program Directors, and the 2017 Outstanding Educator lifetime achievement award from the American Thoracic Society.
- Director, Fellowship Training Program in Pulmonary and Critical Care
- Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
- Professor of Medicine
- MD; Medicine, Rutgers - Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (1982)
- Hartford Hospital / Internal Medicine (1985)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine (1988)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Critical Care Medicine (1991)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (1985)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Pulmonary Disease (1988)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Lenz PH, McCallister JW, Luks AM, Le TT, Fessler HE. "Practical strategies for effective lectures." Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015 Apr;12(4):561-6. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201501-024AR.
Fessler HE, Addrizzo-Harris D, Beck JM, Buckley JD, Pastores SM, Piquette CA, Rowley JA, Spevetz A. "Entrustable professional activities and curricular milestones for fellowship training in pulmonary and critical care medicine: report of a multisociety working group." Chest. 2014 Sep;146(3):813-34. doi: 10.1378/chest.14-0710.
Fessler HE. Undergraduate medical education in critical care. Crit Care Med. 2012 Nov; 40(11):3065-9. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0b013e31826ab360. Review. PMID: 22975892
Simkin DJ, Greene JA, Jung J, Sacks BC, Fessler HE. The Death of Animals in Medical School. N Engl J Med. 2017 Feb 23;376(8):713-715. doi: 10.1056/NEJMp1612992. PMID: 28225675
Fessler HE. Three Years of Medical Education at the American Thoracic Society. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2017 Apr;14(4):485-486. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201701-017ED. PMID: 28362527
Activities & Honors
- Outstanding Educational Program, Johns Hopkins Institute for Excellence in Education, 2014
- Outstanding Educator Award, Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Program Directors, 2016
- Professors' Award for Teaching in the Clinical Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2014
- Outstanding Educator Award, American Thoracic Society, 2017