The Program Director – Doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT) is a dynamic leader in physical therapy studies. The candidate will join the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR) as an associate or full professor faculty member in the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (JHUSOM). The primary responsibility of this position will be to develop and lead the PMR department’s hybrid education DPT program.
This position will lead accreditation efforts, develop program curricula, recruit and coordinate program faculty, and prepare for the initial cohort of students. Once the program is established, the Program Director will be responsible for ongoing program organization, administration, fiscal management, continuous review, quality improvement and supervision of faculty involved in the program. Additionally, the Program Director will collaborate with other PMR personnel to consider additional opportunities for use of educational content for other degree and non-degree programs.
The Program Director reports to the Director of PMR and will ultimately supervise a Director of Clinical Education, faculty dedicated to the DPT program as well as other dedicated program staff. The Program Director works collaboratively and coordinates with other members of the Department of PMR and the Office of the Vice Dean for Education to continually evaluate, improve and deliver the curriculum with innovative and high-quality graduate education methods consistent with the mission, values and strategic goals of the JHUSOM, the Johns Hopkins University, the Department of PMR and the profession.
The successful candidate serving in the role of Program Director is expected to enhance curricula development and map objectives within the DPT program to accreditation standards. The ideal candidate will have previous leadership experience with curriculum development, program assessment and accreditation reporting. This faculty member should have a scholarly agenda including the scholarship of teaching and learning or desire to conduct research in this area. The JHUSOM anticipates this program will be delivered in a hybrid fashion, therefore, experience with online and distance education will be beneficiary.
- Lead JHUSOM faculty in creating a new DPT Program.
- Oversee the establishment and implementation of all policies and procedures related to the operations and fiscal management of the DPT Program. Ensure that all established policies and procedures comply with all professional, state and federal rules and regulations and that the highest level of services are offered to every student in a cost-effective and responsible manner.
- Work closely with the Director (Chair) of PMR to facilitate the integration of clinical and academic objectives to provide students with outstanding training.
- Administer the day to day operations of the program and, under the professional guidance of the Director of PMR, be responsible for all DPT Program administrative decisions.
- Monitor, analyze and identify potential problems or issues facing the operation of the DPT Program.
- Interact with appropriate department faculty and university officials to establish and implement policies and procedures to facilitate excellence within the academic and admissions programs.
- Manage multiple programs within the unit to include: student recruitment; student advisement; DPT admissions; clinical education program; and program accreditation (includes implementation and compliance).
- Collaborate and coordinate with Office of Vice Dean of Education, including the Office of Online Education and JHUSOM department directors to identify and assign educators to ensure coverage for all courses in the program. Orient hired faculty to the program, evaluate teaching performance and mentor faculty in teaching.
- Provide oversight to faculty involved in the DPT program, including the monitoring of course content and evaluation.
- Lead special projects, teach courses in the DPT Program that are consistent with the Director’s area(s) of expertise and perform scholarly activity in the area of physical therapy education
- Represent the department’s DPT program at community events and help to educate the university and larger communities regarding the physical therapy profession.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Collaborate with other education leaders in the Department of PMR to foster multidisciplinary education, including Medical, Psychology and Therapy Resident and Fellowship Directors.
We seek a collegial individual who either has a terminal academic doctorate in a discipline appropriate for teaching responsibilities (Ph.D., Ed.D., etc.) or a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree, with American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties or certification credentials appropriate for their teaching responsibilities.
- Academic track record in education and or research commensurate to an associate or full professor in the JHUSOM.
- Previous demonstrated expertise with business education programs and knowledge of university programs.
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Significant management experience of other professionals.
- Track record of scholarly activity or project development, implementation and outcome assessment.
- Content expertise in program accreditation and the ability to train entry level students in physical therapy.
- Commitment to fostering leadership and scholarship in the area of physical therapy education.
- A minimum of 1 year experience with online education.
Johns Hopkins is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer