I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Home > News and Publications > JHM Publications > Promise and Progress > Promise & Progress - A Spectrum of Achievements
Promise and Progress - The Ride to Conquer Cancer
Promise & Progress - A Spectrum of Achievements
The Ride to Conquer Cancer
Date: January 15, 2015
September 2014 marked the Capital Region’s inaugural Ride to Conquer Cancer. The starting lineup included more than 1,000 participants eager to take on the scenic 150-mile course. Each rider raised a minimum of $2,500. Together, they raised $2.6 million for the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center, Sibley Memorial Hospital, and Suburban Hospitals, where the funds are already being used to support life-saving cancer research and accelerate transformational cancer discoveries.
For many of the participants, the reason for riding was deeply personal. They rode for loved ones who were battling cancer or in honor of friends and family who had lost their battle with the disease. Yellow flags proudly flew from bicycles of riders who were also cancer survivors—some who took on the two-day challenge in the midst of cancer treatment.
Planning has already begun for next year’s event, scheduled for Sept.19 and 20, 2015.
Register to ride at ridetovictory.org.
Articles in this Issue
- World's First Protein Catalog
- How Cancer Cells Keep Going When Other Cells Stop
- Mega Analysis Uncovers Prostate Cancer Risk
- Tobacco and Oral Cancer-Causing Infection
- Test for Oral Cancers
- Shortened BMT Treatment Gets the Job Done
- Greenberg Bladder Cancer Institute Awards First Research Grant
- No More Repeat Prostate Biopsies
- How Breast Cancer Spreads
- Tiny "Ship" Delivers Death Command to Brain Cancer
- Human Chemical Detoxifiers
- Cancer-Fighting Bacteria
- Game Theory and Cancer
- Recruiting Cancer Immunity
- Broccoli Sprouts Detoxify Dirty Air
- Personalized Prostate Cancer Approach
- Amen to Miracles