I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Home > News and Publications > JHM Publications > Promise and Progress > Promise & Progress - A Spectrum of Achievements
Promise and Progress - Swim Across America
Promise & Progress - A Spectrum of Achievements
Swim Across America
Date: January 15, 2015
The fifth annual Swim Across America (SAA) Baltimore event raised $480,000 for the Kimmel Cancer Center's Swim Across America Laboratory. On Sept. 20 and 21, 2014, more than 600 swimmers participated in a pool swim at Meadowbrook Aquatic and Fitness Center and an open-water swim at High Tide Farm on the Magothy River.
Festivities also included appearances by several Olympic swimmers, including Patrick Kennedy (’84), Theresa Andrews (’84), Brenda Borgh Bartlett (’76), Tara Kirk Sell (’04), and Swim Across America’s president and CEO, Janel Jorgensen McArdle (’88), who visited pediatric cancer patients. SAA-funded investigator Dung Le, M.D., reported on advances being made through clinical trials supported by the Swim Across America Laboratory.
In total, SAA swimmers have raised over $2 million for cancer research. Funding supports basic research that can be translated for the development of new diagnostic and treatment approaches for patients with cancers.
The Swim Across America Laboratory is directed by cancer genetics expert Luis Diaz, M.D. Among his research advances are the PapGene test study, which holds promise in facilitating the early detection of ovarian and endometrial cancers, and personalized biomarkers that use cancer DNA to better screen for and monitor cancers.
Articles in this Issue
- World's First Protein Catalog
- How Cancer Cells Keep Going When Other Cells Stop
- Mega Analysis Uncovers Prostate Cancer Risk
- Tobacco and Oral Cancer-Causing Infection
- Test for Oral Cancers
- Shortened BMT Treatment Gets the Job Done
- Greenberg Bladder Cancer Institute Awards First Research Grant
- No More Repeat Prostate Biopsies
- How Breast Cancer Spreads
- Tiny "Ship" Delivers Death Command to Brain Cancer
- Human Chemical Detoxifiers
- Cancer-Fighting Bacteria
- Game Theory and Cancer
- Recruiting Cancer Immunity
- Broccoli Sprouts Detoxify Dirty Air
- Personalized Prostate Cancer Approach
- Amen to Miracles