I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Home > News and Publications > JHM Publications > Johns Hopkins Medicine Suburban > New Directions Summer 2012
Johns Hopkins Medicine Suburban - FDA Authorizes New Stem Cell Trial at Suburban Hospital
New Directions Summer 2012
FDA Authorizes New Stem Cell Trial at Suburban Hospital
Date: June 1, 2012
In conjunction with the NIH’s Center for Regenerative Medicine, the NIH Heart Center at Suburban Hospital is actively recruiting patients with severe coronary artery disease and reduced heart pumping function for enrollment in an exciting clinical trial. Participants undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) or TMR (transmyocardial laser revascularization) will have stem cells harvested from their own hip bones and injected into their heart muscle.
Earlier tests in animals with damaged heart muscle have shown that injecting stem cells can improve the heart’s functioning. “By using the patient’s own cells, there is no chance of rejection and these cells should improve the blood flow to the heart and aid repair of damaged heart muscle,” says Dr. Keith Horvath, chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Suburban Hospital and director of the Cardiothoracic Surgery Research Program at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
To determine if you are a candidate for this study, please call the NIH Heart Center at 301-896-7610.
Articles in this Issue
Inside this Issue
- Patient and Family Advisory Council Making Great Strides
- Noteworthy! Suburban Becomes Exclusive Health Sponsor for Girls on the Run Moco!
- President’s Message
- Summertime, Summertime, Sum…Sum… Summertime
- Identifying Your Caregivers with Ease
- And the Winners Are….! Nurses and Techs Honored at Suburban
- FDA Authorizes New Stem Cell Trial at Suburban Hospital
- Noteworthy! Sleep Disorders Center Earns Accreditation by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- JHCP Update: Expanded Specialty Care at JHCP’s Downtown Bethesda Practice
- Saturday Hours for Primary Care and Pediatrics at JHCP – North Bethesda
- 2012 Showcase Spectacular Benefits Cardiac Care
- Pediatric Care at JHCP – North Bethesda
- Patient Service Center in New Chevy Chase Location
- Nurses Hold Key Role in Unique Care Model for Heart Patients
- Way to Go! Radial Artery Catheterization
- Nurses Study Way to Ease Patient Pain
- Why Suburban?