Skip Navigation
Search Menu

Class Notes

In Memorium Spring/Summer 2016

School of Medicine

James S. Martin ’46, of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, a U.S. Army veteran of World War II who spent 40 years as a family physician in Lancaster—delivering a precise total of 500 babies while also initiating the physical therapy department at Lancaster General Hospital—died on Jan. 18. He was 93.

Laurence Finberg ’46, of San Francisco, former president of the American Board of Pediatrics, dean of the school of medicine at the State University of New York Downstate from 1988 to 1991, and a pediatrician and scientist known for his contributions to the management of salt-and-water balance in children and expertise in childhood lead poisoning, died on Jan. 22. He was 92. While chief resident in pediatrics at the old Baltimore City Hospitals, now Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, and The Johns Hopkins Hospital in August 1950, he responded to a major outbreak of polio by taking the then-bold step of integrating previously segregated medical services by admitting African-American adults to what had been all-white wards. In 1963, he was named head of pediatrics at Montefiore Medical Center and professor of pediatrics at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York. He moved to San Francisco in 1995, becoming a beloved teacher of pediatrics at both Stanford and the University of California, San Francisco.

Donald Straus ’53, of Adamstown, Maryland, who maintained a private pediatric practice from 1959 until 1993, died on Dec. 15, 2015. He was 88. After closing his pediatric practice, Straus began a second career by joining a medical group in Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, and also worked in Hancock, Maryland. In 2000, he was appointed health officer of Morgan County, West Virginia, where he was instrumental in enacting clean indoor air regulations that banned indoor smoking in public facilities. He retired permanently in 2008.

Jerome Kowal ’56, of Cleveland, a pioneer in geriatric medicine, died on Dec. 23, 2015. He was 84. His distinguished 40-year career as a clinician/scientist and medical educator included service at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City and at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, where he became chief of the Division of Geriatric Medicine in 1984 and associate dean for geriatric medicine in 1994.

Larry Thornton Shields ’61, of Newton, Massachusetts, an orthopaedic surgeon in Waltham, Massachusetts, for three decades, died on March 12, 2015. He was 79. Following his internship at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis, service in the Navy from 1963 to 1965, and an orthopaedic residency at Children’s Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital and the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, he joined the Harvard Medical School faculty and maintained a private practice. He also served as team physician for the Newton High School athletic teams for many years.

Vincent C. Manganiello ’67, internationally recognized for his studies of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases—a large, multigene family of proteins that can impact conditions including cardiovascular disease, female infertility, diabetes, obesity and cancer—died at his Bethesda, Maryland, home on Jan. 10 following a seven-month battle with cancer. He was 76. Manganiello, who earned a Johns Hopkins Ph.D. in physiological chemistry in 1966, spent nearly a half-century at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, where he rose to become chief of the Laboratory of Biochemical Physiology in its cardiovascular and pulmonary branch.

Joseph Marotta ’84, of Menands, New York, an orthopaedic surgeon who had been the team physician for Siena College’s athletic program and for Albany-based professional sports teams, died suddenly on Feb. 8. He was 57. President of the medical staff at Samaritan Hospital in Troy, chief of its orthopaedics division and then chairman of its surgery department, Marotta also was a devout Catholic who founded Medicus Christi, a charitable organization established to bring medical care and training to impoverished parts of the world. He personally went on many such missions to Africa, referring to this outreach as his “calling.” Pope Benedict XVI blessed his organization, and Pope Francis gave it a grant.

David L. Huso ’89, of Hereford, Maryland, an associate professor of molecular and comparative pathobiology at the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center, died on Jan. 27 after collapsing in his laboratory on the medical school campus. He was 59. Beginning his career as a doctor of veterinary medicine, Huso came to Johns Hopkins in 1984 on a fellowship in comparative pathology, then earned his molecular microbiology and immunology doctorate. As a researcher, he used mice to study cancer, kidney and heart disease, systemic inflammation, and vascular disease. Much of his work concentrated on the molecular changes that lead to breast cancer. Colleagues described him as a keenly intelligent, consummate team player with a warm, generous nature, coupled with self-deprecating humor.

Jason Scott Goldfeder ’95, of St. Louis, died on Dec. 9, 2015, following a courageous battle against ALS. He was 45. He completed his residency at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis and in 1998 joined the Washington University faculty in its Department of Medicine’s Division of Medical Education.

Linthium Lee Lin ’95, of Salem, New Hampshire, a tireless advocate for advanced access to Veterans’ Administration hospitals, died on Nov. 7, 2015. He was 48. His career took him to veterans’ hospitals in New Hampshire, Florida and Colorado, where he oversaw the activation of four community-based outpatient clinics and implementation of virtual health services that also provided care to veterans in Wyoming, Montana and Colorado.

Former Faculty, Fellows and House Staff

Eloise Johnson (fellow, pediatrics, 1949–50; faculty, medicine, 1950–56), of Chicago, a pediatric cardiologist who trained with Helen Taussig ’27, co-creator of the famous “blue baby” operation, then joined the faculty of Northwestern University and the staff of what then was Children’s Memorial Hospital—now the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago—died on Feb. 3 of heart failure. She was 94. A prolific researcher, she published many papers about rheumatic fever and strep infections in children. After suffering a loss of hearing in 1975 that left her unable to hear the faint heartbeats so important to pediatric cardiology, she determined to continue practicing medicine. She completed a fellowship in allergy and immunology at Northwestern and began a second career as a physician to adults. She treated patients at the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center in Chicago until she was 90.

Robert H. Drachman (HS, pediatrics, 1958–60; fellow, microbiology, 1962–64; faculty, pediatrics 1966–86), of Tinmouth, Vermont, died on Jan. 21 following a long illness. He was 87. During a 55-year career in pediatrics, he served as an associate professor of pediatrics at Johns Hopkins and was also associated with the State University of New York and the University of Vermont. While living in Maryland, he worked in public health for both the Head Start Program and the state Department of Health.

Irvin Pollack (fellow, ophthalmology, 1960–61; faculty, ophthalmology, 1962–98), of Baltimore, a pioneering expert on glaucoma who worked closely with Arnall Patz and Johns Hopkins’ Applied Physics Laboratory to begin using lasers to treat that disease, died on March 1. He was 85. While at the Wilmer Eye Institute, Pollack began the first longitudinal study of glaucoma incidents, which began the era of clinical epidemiology in the field. His ruby laser, built in collaboration with APL, was the first such instrument shown to be beneficial in laser iridotomy. Later chief of ophthalmology at Baltimore’s Sinai Hospital and a founder of the Krieger Eye Institute and the American Glaucoma Society, he was renowned for the gracious, generous manner with which he trained many residents and fellows.

Byron S. Tepper (faculty, medicine, 1960–95), of Baltimore, director emeritus of Johns Hopkins Medicine’s Office of Safety and Environmental Health, died on Dec. 15, 2015. He was 85. A bacteriologist and microbiologist with a joint appointment in pathobiology and environmental health sciences in the Bloomberg School of Public Health, he created a two-week annual course in 1979, Control of Biohazards in the Research Laboratory, that still is taught today. He also created many innovations in biosafety, including development of the canopy connection known as the Tepper teepee to simultaneously remove laboratory air and exhaust from biosafety cabinets.

Russell Wallace Chesney, (HS, pediatrics, 1968–70, 1971–73), of Memphis, Tennessee, the professor and former chair of pediatrics at the University of Tennessee, Memphis, an internationally recognized pediatrician and recipient of the American Pediatric Society’s 2011 John Howland Award, the highest accolade in American pediatrics, died on April 2, 2015. He was 73. His residency at Johns Hopkins was followed by a fellowship in nephrology at McGill University. His career in academic medicine included faculty positions at the University of Wisconsin, the University of California, Davis, and the University of Tennessee. He published more than 360 peer-reviewed journal articles; led local, national and international pediatric and nephrology societies; and mentored numerous young physicians and scientists. 

Larry R. Pennington (HS, surgery, 1982; faculty, surgery, 1982–86), a national leader in transplantation and hepatobiliary surgery, died on Nov. 5, 2015, at his home in Oklahoma City. He was 69. After training at Johns Hopkins, the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland, and the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin, Ireland, he joined the Johns Hopkins faculty as an assistant professor of surgery. In 1986, he returned to his home state to become chief of the transplant section at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, as well as chief of the surgical service at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Oklahoma City. An inspirational teacher, he was known for wise and often droll observations, dubbed “Pennington’s pearls” by students and residents.

John Lauchlin Currie II (faculty, gynecology/oncology, 1987–1993), of Asheville, North Carolina, once chief of the Division of Gynecologic Oncology at Johns Hopkins and then chairman of gynecology/obstetrics at Dartmouth, died on April 22, 2015, after a long illness. He was 72. Currie’s medical career also included academic and surgical appointments at the University of Connecticut and Vanderbilt, and establishment of the gynecologic oncology practice at the John B. Amos Cancer Center in Columbus, Georgia. In 2003, he obtained his law degree from the University of Vermont and joined the state bar.

Charles Annecillo (postgraduate fellow and faculty, psychiatry), of Bowie, Maryland, died on Jan. 1. He was 70. A graduate of the Bloomberg School of Public Health, he worked as a program and research analyst in the behavioral sciences. He was credited with developing a Web-based peer journal review system for the Biomedical Engineering Society.