In This Section      

Archives - School of Medicine

Winter 2011

School of Medicine

Date: February 18, 2011

Edward H. Richardson ’38, of Baltimore, a gynecologist and women’s urologist who served as chief of urology for the U.S. Army Medical Corps in New Guinea and Manila during World War II, then maintained a private practice in Baltimore for decades, died on Nov. 4 at his home. He was 98. He was on the staff of both Hopkins Hospital and the Hospital of Women of Maryland, which later became part of the Greater Baltimore Medical Center, and was chief of gynecology at Baltimore’s Union Memorial Hospital.

Brown McIlvaine Dobyns ’39, of Cardon, Ohio, one of the world’s pre-eminent thyroid and parathyroid surgeons and a former president of the American Thyroid Association and the Cleveland Surgical Society, died on Oct. 22. He was 97. 

William L. MacVane, Jr. ’41, of Portland, Me., the hometown in which he not only was a beloved thoracic and general surgeon but also served a term as mayor, died on Aug. 1. He was 95. A World War II infantry veteran who won a Bronze Star for performing major surgery under adverse conditions in the Philippines, he subsequently participated in the first open heart surgery performed in Maine in 1959. He served as director of medical education at Portland’s Mercy Hospital from 1965 to 1978.

Lalla Iverson, Nov. ’43, of Miami, Fla., who was inspired to enter medicine at the age of 12 after hearing a sermon preached by Howard A. Kelly, one of Hopkins’ Big Four founding physicians, died on June 13. She was 90. Iverson became a noted geo-pathologist, studying how geographical factors affected patients in China, India, Africa, and the Philippines. During her time in India, she became close to Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru and his daughter, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, both of whom consulted her on rural health care and medical education.

Alvin A. Cummins ’44, of Memphis, Tenn., former chairman of the Department of Gastroenterology at the University of Tennessee School of Medicine, died on Sept. 27.  He was 90.

David T. Karzon ’44, of Nashville, Tenn., chairman of the Department of Pediatrics at Vanderbilt Medical School from 1968 to 1986, died on Aug. 26. He was 90. In 1970, he became a founder and first medical director of the Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital, where he bridged the gap between the practicing pediatricians and the hospital. 

Robert W. McCollum ’48, of Etna, N.H., dean of the Dartmouth Medical School from 1982 to 1990 and renowned for his significant contributions to the understanding of polio, hepatitis, and mononucleosis, died on Sept. 13 at his home. He was 85. In the 1950s, he worked with a team of researchers at Yale that isolated the polio virus in blood samples taken from polio victims and their families, discovering that before the virus reached the spinal cord and paralyzed patients, it circulated in the blood. The finding expanded understanding of how polio evolved and formed the basis for developing polio vaccines.

Avrum L. Katcher ’48, of Flemington, N.J., former director of pediatrics and assistant medical director at the Hunterdon Medical Center in Flemington, died on June 4. He also was an attending physician at the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, where he taught developmental pediatrics to residents.

John L. Hedeman ’51, of Salisbury, Md., who practiced internal medicine in Annapolis for 43 years, making house calls with the same physician’s bag he’d purchased in 1955 and never accepting any form of managed care plan payments, died of heart failure on July 29. He was 88.

Sanford Chodosh ’52, of Berwyn, Pa., a pulmonary specialist who was an international authority on chronic bronchitis and a leader in sputum research, died on Aug. 30. He was 82. He was co-founder of Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research and served as its president for 22 years. He spent nearly a half-century in academic medicine as associate professor of medicine at the schools of medicine at Tufts and Boston University, including three decades at Boston City Hospital.

Timothy S. Harrison ’53, of Rumford, Rhode Island, professor emeritus of surgery and molecular physiology at Penn State University who had a lifelong interest in medical education and practice in South Asia and the Middle East, died at his home on July 21. He was 83. Born in Kodaikanal, India, the son of a medical missionary, he was raised in the Sultanate of Oman until he was 12, then sent to high school in Holland, Mich. Following World War II naval service, he graduated from Hope College in Holland before coming to Hopkins. At both Hope and Hopkins, he was the roommate of George Zuidema, later director of surgery at Hopkins. Studying at Harvard and the Krolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden, following his Hopkins residency, he developed a permanent interest in endocrine physiology. Maintaining his overseas connections, he taught at the American University of Beirut, the Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan, and served in Oman’s ministry of health.

Joseph H. Hooper, Jr. ’54, of Baltimore, former president of the Baltimore City Medical Society and a superb abdominal surgeon who volunteered as a hospice physician after retiring from a 30-year career at Baltimore’s Union Memorial Hospital, died on Oct. 24 of heart failure. He was 82.

James W. Thorpen ’54, of Casper, Wyo., the elected coroner for Natrona County for more than a quarter century, died at his home on Oct. 30. He was 80. Thorpen was renowned not only for solving crimes but comforting bereaved families while performing professional duties under difficult circumstances.

John A. Washington ’61, of Pepper Pike, Ohio, a former head of microbiology and clinical pathology at the Cleveland Clinic who developed lifesaving antibiotics and made important discoveries about infections, died on Sept. 5. He was 74.  Descended from a brother of George Washington, he was born in Istanbul, Turkey, the son of a career diplomat. Washington was the author of more than 400 scientific papers; he received an award for outstanding research from the American Society of Microbiology.  

Christopher J. Heller ’63, an integral member of the Tucson, Ariz., community for four decades, died on Aug. 4.  He was 72.  After spending 13 months in Nha Trang, Vietnam, and then at the DeWitt Army Hospital in Fort. Belvoir, Va., he opened a general and vascular surgery practice in Tucson that he maintained for 20 years. In 1987, he co-founded MIDS Inc., a health care information firm, and worked there for the next 23 years, watching it grow from six employees to more than 200.

Hayden G. “Bud” Braine ’69, of Monkton, Md., an internationally known pioneer in blood cell transfusion and the treatment of leukemia patients, died from complications of dementia on Oct. 30. He was 67. A professor of oncology, Braine established one of the first hemapheresis unit programs in the country at Hopkins Hospital and provided crucial support to the Kimmel Cancer Center’s bone marrow transplant program.

Merrill J. Egorin ’73, of Pittsburgh, Pa., one of the founders of the University of Maryland’s Greenebaum Cancer Center, co-director of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute’s Molecular Therapeutics and Drug Discovery Program, and a researcher whom a colleague called a “unique … national treasure,” died on Aug. 7 of multiple myeloma. He was 62. Named to the Hopkins Society of Scholars in 2009, he played a central role in defining the pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic relationships of a large number of chemotherapeutic agents currently used to treat cancer.

Kenneth Blair ’80, of Austin, Texas, who was an eloquent advocate for AIDS patients long before he contracted the disease himself in 1994 after an accidental needle stick involving an infected patient, died on Oct. 31. He was 55. Blair’s work in low-cost public health clinics put him on the front lines of the AIDS/HIV epidemic of the 1980s and 1990s. Advances in AIDS treatment kept Blair relatively healthy for a decade after his accidental infection, but medication-related complications compelled his retirement in 2006.