I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Dome - Highlights of 2014
Dome January/February 2015
Highlights of 2014
Date: January 7, 2015
The Delmarva Foundation for Medical Care names Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Sibley Memorial Hospital recipients of the 2014 Excellence Award for Quality Improvement in Hospitals. The award honors hospitals that meet specific performance improvement criteria on 10 measures in four national inpatient clinical areas, including acute myocardial infarction, heart failure, surgical care improvement and pneumonia.
The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Sibley Memorial Hospital and Suburban Hospital receive the Joint Commission’s Top Performer on Key Quality Measures award. The Top Performer program recognizes hospitals for improving performance on evidence-based interventions that increase the chances of healthy outcomes for patients. Only 37 percent of all Joint Commission-accredited hospitals receive the honor this year. This is the first year Suburban Hospital attains the recognition. The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Sibley Memorial Hospital receive the award for the second year in a row.
The Johns Hopkins Hospital receives a Press Ganey Success Story Award for its efforts surrounding three of the six venous thromboembolism (VTE) core measures required by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: VTE prophylaxis, overlap therapy and Warfarin discharge instructions. Since the implementation of these interventions, The Johns Hopkins Hospital’s VTE core measures — or standardized best practices — have maintained a greater than a 90 percent compliance record.
Johns Hopkins Home Care Group and Potomac Home Health Care achieve HomeCare Elite status, an honor reserved for the top 25 percent of Medicare-certified agencies. To obtain the honor, Johns Hopkins Home Care Group reduced its hospitalization rate to 22 percent and its 30-day readmission rate to 16 percent. Frequent communication and collaboration with discharge teams at Sibley Memorial Hospital and Suburban Hospital helped Potomac Home Health Care decrease its hospital readmissions over the past two years, reaching outcome results that exceed both national and state benchmarks.
All Children’s Hospital
- The first class of the All Children’s Hospital Johns Hopkins Medicine pediatric residency is helping lead the way in a new approach to training, including the two-week intensive LEAD (Leadership Executive Academic Development) program that focuses on knowledge and skills not routinely taught during residency.
- All Children’s launches PREDICT, a study that seeks to learn why some children — healthy at birth and in early childhood — go on to develop health problems.
Howard County General Hospital
- Howard County General Hospital welcomes new president Steven Snelgrove.
- The hospital receives the largest private donation in the history of both the hospital and Howard County at large — $5 million from Dr. Sanford A. Berman and Dr. Kay Y. Ota-Berman.
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital celebrates its 125th anniversary.
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital’s Nelson/Harvey Building is renovated, with 136 private patient rooms added.
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Johns Hopkins Bayview celebrates the 30th anniversary of its affiliation with Johns Hopkins Medicine.
- The Johns Hopkins Bayview Diversity Council is honored by the Association of Diversity Councils as one of the top 25 diversity councils in the United States for a fourth consecutive year. This year, the council ranked eighth, improving its standings from the previous year.
Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Sibley Memorial Hospital receives the Get With The Guidelines-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for implementing specific quality improvement measures outlined by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association for treating patients experiencing a stroke.
- Radiation Oncology at the Sibley Cancer Center is recognized for excellence in green building practice and performance by the U.S. Green Building Council. The center is awarded Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification.
- Sibley Memorial Hospital’s Renaissance Skilled Nursing Facility is named in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Nursing Homes for 2014. The rating covers nearly 16,000 nursing homes nationwide.
- Suburban Hospital breaks ground on the first phase of its campus enhancement project.
- Suburban Hospital receives an award for nursing certification advocacy.
- Suburban Hospital receives a 2014 Get With The Guidelines-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award.
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
- Johns Hopkins Community Physicians opens Heart Care Chevy Chase, its fourth cardiology practice.
- Johns Hopkins Community Physicians opens a location in Ballston, its first specialty practice in Virginia.
- Thirty-one Johns Hopkins Community Physicians primary care physicians, cardiologists and specialty surgeons are honored as Washingtonian’s 2014 Top Doctors.
Johns Hopkins HealthCare
- Its health plans — Priority Partners, US Family Health Plan and EHP — are accredited by the National Committee for Quality Assurance. (Priority Partners was ranked number two Medicaid HMO plan in MD in NCQA’s Medicaid Health Insurance Plan Rankings 2014–2015. US Family Health Plan was ranked number two private health insurance plan in MD in NCQA’s Private Health Insurance Plan Rankings 2014–2015; and EHP was ranked number three private health insurance plan in MD in NCQA’s Private Health Insurance Plan Rankings 2014–2015.
- Johns Hopkins Medicine Alliance for Patients, an accountable care organization, which includes Johns Hopkins Medicine physicians and hospitals and three community-based provider groups, is accepted into the Medicare Shared Savings Program and begins to implement initiatives to improve the quality and coordination of care for 36,000 Medicare beneficiaries.
Johns Hopkins Home Care Group
- Johns Hopkins Home Care Group and Allegheny Health Network acquire ownership of Klingensmith HealthCare, one of western Pennsylvania’s leading suppliers of respiratory and home medical equipment and related services.
- Johns Hopkins Home Care Group receives accreditation from the American Society of Health System Pharmacists for the newly established community pharmacy residency program with the Johns Hopkins Outpatient Pharmacy.
Johns Hopkins Medicine International
- Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare is inaugurated.
- The Language Access Services team assumes responsibility for American Sign Language interpretation.
- Johns Hopkins Medicine International begins a new affiliation with HCL Avitas, a network of multispecialty clinics across India.