I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Blaustein Pain Research Fund Grants
Blaustein Pain Research Fund Grants support clinical and basic research in pain conducted within Johns Hopkins Medicine with two grant cycles (Spring and Fall) each year.
Please send an electronic copy of the proposal in one (PDF format) to the Chairman at email@example.com and to the Blaustein Fund coordinator, Linda Page at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an email receipt confirmation; once received.
Proposals Accepted for Consideration
You can apply for funds to:
- Empower a junior faculty member to develop a research project.
- Advance a project to a point where it can earn external support.
- Complete a small research project.
- Support core personnel such as clinical outcomes coordinators, computer specialists, biostatisticians)
- Keep research activities up and running "between grants.”
Typical awards are for about $25,000 per year, and are intended for direct costs only. Requests should not exceed $40,000.
The Research Grant Committee of the Blaustein Pain Treatment Center reviews applications and makes recommendations to the Center’s director. Proposals are evaluated on these bases:
- Relevance to pain
- Synergy with overall pain program
- Level of departmental support
- Scientific merit
- Career development potential
- History of productivity as predictor of success
- Likelihood of research attaining external funding
- Eligible research should relate directly to improving our understanding of the mechanisms, diagnosis, and treatment of pain.
- Faculty member of the Johns Hopkins University with a demonstrated commitment of career interest in pain research are eligible.
- You agree to acknowledge the support of the Blaustein Pain Research Fund in any publication resulting from the research.
- You agree to present a brief progress report at the end of the funding period.
- The results of the selected study will be presented at the Blaustein Pain Treatment Center Grand Rounds.
Proposals for Spring 2021
- Beginning date of: March 1, 2021
- Ending date of: April 30, 2021
- Funding period: 7/1/2021 - 6/30/2022
Proposals for Fall 2021
- Beginning date of: September 13, 2021
- Ending date of: November 12, 2021
- Funding period: 1/1/2022 - 12/31/2022
How to Submit Your Application
- Research plan page limit: five (5) pages with a font size of 11 or greater. Applications with research plans exceeding this limit will not be reviewed.
- The proposal should use a format similar to that of an NIH research proposal with sections covering Specific Aims, Background and Significance (i.e., rationale), Preliminary Results (if available) or Progress Report (for those requesting an additional year of support), and Research Design and Methods.
- Applicants should state how this research will develop their career and/or lead to external support.
- Please provide an abstract (<300 words), a five-page biographical sketch of the applicant and all co-investigators, a budget with justification, and a summary of other ongoing and proposed research support.
- Include a letter from the Department Director that comments on the merit of the proposal and indicates the amount of support to be provided for this research by the department.
- Please send an electronic copy of the proposal in one (PDF format) to the Chairman at email@example.com and to the Blaustein Fund coordinator, Linda Page at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an email receipt confirmation once received, reviewed, and accepted.
View research awarded grants from the Blaustein Pain Research Fund.
Request an Appointment
Adult Neurology: 410-955-9441
Pediatric Neurology: 410-955-4259
Adult Neurosurgery: 410-955-6406
Pediatric Neurosurgery: 410-955-7337
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.