I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Headaches can cause considerable distress in children and affect their quality of life. A severe or recurring headache requires a prompt action to limit or stop the pain. Migraine and other headaches affecting children are not curable, but most are manageable. Our team is dedicated to helping your child control his or her headaches and enjoy a full, fun and active life.
Pediatric Headache Treatment: Why Choose Johns Hopkins
- From initial history and examination to imaging and treatment, you can feel confident that your child is getting the most innovative and individualized approach for managing headache or any other neurological problem.
- Our team treats children with many different kinds of headaches. We determine the type of headache through a detailed history and a thoughtful evaluation of signs and symptoms. Unless there are neurologic abnormalities or other red flags, most tests, such as brain scans, EEGs or blood work, will not be necessary.
- Our specialists can recommend medications and/or lifestyle modifications, such as exercise, diet and hydration, sleep hygiene, stress management and supplements, to help your child minimize or get rid of headaches.
- The pediatric neurology team at Johns Hopkins is shaping advances in diagnosis and management of the most common and challenging neurologic conditions affecting young patients.
Request an Appointment
To request an appointment with a pediatric headache specialist, please call 410-550-5624, select option 1, then option 6.
It’s useful to keep a headache diary, noting when headaches occur, and what your child was eating, drinking, or doing before the headache occurred. Bring this diary with you to your appointment.
Pediatric Headache Specialists
Expertise, Disease and Conditions: Neurology, Pediatric Headaches, Pediatric Neurology, Tic Disorders, Tourette's Syndrome
Expertise, Disease and Conditions: Headache, Neurology, Pediatric Headaches, Pediatric Neurology
Candie Marchand, P.A.
Besides pediatric headache, Candie has experience working in three additional pediatric specialties at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, including neurosurgery, plastic surgery and emergency medicine. Her volunteer work includes 16 surgical missions abroad for cleft lip and palate repair in 11 developing countries with four non-profit organizations.
Amanda Wood, C.R.P.N.P.
Amanda is a nurse practitioner specializing in pediatric headache and working closely with the director of the Pediatric Headache Center. She also has experience in pediatric critical care, working as a nurse in The Johns Hopkins Hospital's Pediatric Intensive Care.
Meet Dr. Christopher Oakley
Dr. Oakley is the director of the Johns Hopkins Pediatric Headache Center and a pediatric neurologist specializing in pediatric headaches, vertigo and head pain.
Pediatric Headache Treatment Locations
- Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center (Baltimore)
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center (Baltimore)
- Johns Hopkins Health Care & Surgery Center - Bethesda
- Johns Hopkins Health Care & Surgery Center - Green Spring Station (Lutherville)
- Johns Hopkins Children's Center Pediatric Specialists - Annapolis
Request an Appointment
If you have questions or want to request an appointment,
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.