The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center's Patient and Caregiver Advisory Council
The Patient and Caregiver Advisory Council (PCAC) at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center is dedicated to promoting a culture of patient and family-centered care. The Council is comprised of past and current patients, caregivers and Kimmel Cancer Center staff members who seek to integrate patient and caregiver perspectives into the delivery of cancer treatment at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. The Council meets monthly to:
- Provide the voice of the patient in giving feedback to staff on a variety of operational and planning initiatives
- Identify patient and caregiver concerns and generate ways to resolve them for future patients
- Advocate for patient and family-centered care
- Encourage dialogue and an on-going relationship with SKCCC leadership, providers and staff
- Learn about issues of concern/interest and create opportunities to improve the experience for patients and caregivers, including research, medical treatment and support services
- Collaborate with SKCCC staff in planning and delivery of new and revised programs and services
List of Accomplishments:
- Provided input on plans for the new Skip Viragh Outpatient Cancer Building--including feedback on café menu, furniture and graphics design for the infusion center and overall design/color choices for the building
- Assisted with clinical research on Integrative Medicine: “Evaluating Symptom Relief and Quality of Life for Adult Acute Leukemia Inpatients Receiving Integrative Medicine Therapies.”
- Established a work group on Integrative Medicine to examine services at The Johns Hopkins Hospital and other cancer centers
- Collaborated on the patient and caregiver-centered video and educational materials on “What I Wish You Knew,” to communicate with the clinical and support team on how to improve the inpatient experience
- Provided feedback to staff on a variety of issues including implementation of the new electronic medical record, outpatient check-in and registration, nutrition and smoking cessation programs and new patient orientation material.
How Can I Become Involved?
Download the Application for Patient and Family Advisors
Learn more about Johns Hopkins Hospital Patient and Family Advisory Councils.