I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Esophageal Cancer Prevention
At The Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, we’re here to help you improve your health and make positive lifestyle choices to prevent esophageal cancer and other illnesses. If you suffer from chronic heartburn or acid reflux, we also have experts who can monitor and treat your condition to help lower your risk of esophageal cancer.
As a center of excellence in esophageal cancer treatment, we have developed a special focus on prevention that includes:
- Access to the newest research: Our doctors have published some of the leading studies on approaches to esophageal cancer detection and diagnosis—proven knowledge that leads to more effective care for our patients. Learn more about our esophageal cancer research and clinical trials.
- Top-tier specialists: As a part of a leading academic medical center, we provide you with access to recognized cancer specialists who specialize in monitoring acid reflux, treating chronic heartburn and Barrett’s esophagus to monitor and prevent cancer. Meet our team.
- Leading specialists in imaging and detection: Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) is one of the most accurate imaging procedures for detecting esophageal cancer. Our team includes some of the nation’s foremost specialists in the procedure. Read more about our expertise in esophageal cancer diagnosis.
- Long-standing expertise in Barrett’s esophagus: Our nationally funded research program on Barrett’s esophagus began more than twenty years ago. We treat hundreds of patients with Barrett’s esophagus every year, some of whom travel great distances for our renowned expertise. Find out more about Barrett’s esophagus and esophageal cancer.
What You Can Do to Prevent Esophageal Cancer
Many of the most effective ways to prevent esophageal cancer involve choices that are good for your overall health:
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol
- Eat a healthy diet
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Seek treatment for reflux and heartburn
Learn more about the warning signs of esophageal cancer.
Monitoring and Treatment for Barrett’s Esophagus
If you’ve been diagnosed with Barrett’s esophagus, you’ve likely been told you are at a higher risk of developing esophageal cancer. We’re here to help you receive the care you need to effectively treat Barrett’s esophagus, including:
- Close monitoring for signs of precancer (dysplasia) or early cancer in your esophagus
- Treating the condition with medication
- Advanced imaging procedures, such as confocal endomicroscopy and EUS, for early detection of abnormal cell growth
- Treatment for dysplasia, a pre-cancerous condition that can develop in patients with Barrett’s
- Second opinions on your Barrett’s diagnosis through our Gastroenterology and Hepatology Second Opinion Program.
Learn more about our expert approach to esophageal cancer treatments.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.