College Student Summer Volunteers
Process for College Students Volunteering Mid-May to Mid-August
Volunteering during the summer requires the successful completion of both screening and orientation tasks. This can be challenging due to semester schedules. Below is the list of tasks that must be completed prior to May 1 in order to begin volunteering on time and to complete the required hours. While some of the tasks can be scheduled at your convenience, the Child Life Volunteer Safety Orientation is only offered bimonthly (on the first Tuesday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and the third Wednesday from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.). During the month of March, when spring break is typically held, two additional CLVSOs will be offered. All tasks need to be completed before you can get your photo ID and begin volunteering in May.
- Complete application and schedule screening interview directly with Child Life volunteer coordinator Brittany Weston-Dawkes
- Complete screening interview with Child Life
- Clear through references and background checks
- Complete JHH online education for volunteers
- Attend a Child Life Volunteer Safety Orientation
- Have a tuberculin test placed and read
- Receive your hospital photo identification badge
- Arrange your start/training date and time with the Child Life volunteer coordinator
The goal is to have you ready to start playing with the children and supporting the work of the child life department in mid-May, as soon as your spring semester is finished. Please contact volunteer coordinator Brittany Weston-Dawkes for more information and to begin the application process at 410-614-1479 or email@example.com.
Explore the Children's Center
Find A Pediatric Specialist
Search our experts by specialty, disease, or condition
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures