Visiting Elective Program for Students Underrepresented in Pediatrics
The Johns Hopkins Harriet Lane Pediatric Residency Training Program strongly values diversity and is thrilled to welcome students who are underrepresented in pediatrics to apply for senior elective rotations in pediatric cardiology, hematology, infectious disease or oncology. We are providing a stipend of $2,000 for up to six qualified students per academic year to help defray the cost of an away rotation; $300 of this stipend will be applied toward the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine’s registration fee for visiting students, and the remainder can be applied toward travel/housing. The stipend for students NOT paying for housing will be $600; $300 of this stipend will be applied toward the registration fee. We define the following groups as underrepresented: Black (African/African American), Latino/Hispanic (Mexican American, Cuban American, Puerto Rican, Central American, South American), Native American and Native Hawaiian. Applications will be considered based on merit and availability. We will only consider applicants who wish to complete the elective between July and November of each academic year. We anticipate we may not be able to fund as many qualified applicants for this program as we would like and are actively looking for funding to expand this program in the future.
- Final year of medical school
- Good standing at medical school
- Completion of core clerkship in pediatrics
- Applying for residency position in pediatrics
- Pursuing a medical degree at an LCME-accredited medical school
If you are at Johns Hopkins for an elective NOT sponsored through this Diversity Elective Program, please let Kathy Mainhart know when you will be at Hopkins. We’d love to meet you!
Applications open on February 18, 2019. Application deadline is March 22, 2019. We aim to inform students of application status by April 10, 2019.
The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine requires that visiting students follow the Johns Hopkins academic calendar.
2019 visiting elective dates:
- July 20–August 14
- August 19–September 18
- September 19–October 18
- October 21–November 18
1. Email Kathy Mainhart at email@example.com to state your interest in the elective, and please include the following information:
- Medical school
- Anticipated date of graduation
- Elective(s) of interest: pediatric cardiology, hematology, infectious disease and/or oncology
- Dates of interest for elective (see above)
- Need for housing (Yes/No). If yes, indicate if you are interested in on-campus housing.
- Underrepresented group(s) with which you identify: Black (African/African American), Latino/Hispanic (Mexican American, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Central American, South American), Native American and/or Native Hawaiian
- One brief paragraph describing why you are interested in this elective
- USMLE exam scores
2. Please have your registrar’s office send us an official transcript:Johns Hopkins Children's Center Visiting Elective Program
c/o Kathy Mainhart
Department of Pediatrics
The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children’s Center building, Room 8451
1800 Orleans Street
Baltimore, MD 21287
3. Once the application is complete, your materials will be reviewed and we will let you know by April 10, 2019 if we can honor your elective request based on 1. eligibility, 2. availability for the dates requested, and 3. availability of designated funds to provide the stipend.
Questions? Please contact Kathy Mainhart at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-955-2727.
Thanks for your interest!
Explore the Children's Center
Find A Pediatric Specialist
Search our experts by specialty, disease, or condition
Search The Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures