I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Clínica Las Condes
Clínica Las Condes is one of the top private hospitals in Santiago. It began operation in 1982, founded by a group of physicians who decided to build a state-of-the art medical facility. It is a publicly held company with stockholders including an insurance company, investment groups and roughly 400 physicians from the hospital.
The 253-bed hospital has a tradition of innovation in health care and it continues to offer forefront technologies, quality care to its patients and educational opportunities for its patients, physicians, nurses and staff. By 2012, the facility will extend its operations to become a 400-bed multispecialty hospital.
Current services include:
- Outpatient care
- Emergency care and ambulance for ground and air
- Intensive care for adults, children, newborns and cardiac patients
- General and specialized clinical laboratory
- Imaging including conventional radiology, ultrasound, angiography, densitometry, mammography, computed tomography and magnetic resonance
- Organ transplant
- Preventive medicine
- Continuing medical education for medical staff
In 2009, Clínica Las Condes and Universidad de Chile School of Public Health joined together to begin offering a diploma in hospital management targeted to managers and professionals working in health care institutions. In 2011, they will begin a master of health administration program.
Joint Commission International Accreditation
2007 (first/only in Chile), 2010, 2013
About Our Agreement
Under the agreement signed in 2007, Johns Hopkins Medicine International provides services including:
- Joint Commission International accreditation preparation in 2007 and 2010
- Consulting: Perioperative services performance improvement, architectural review, radiology (assessment and work plan), hospital code of conduct design, 10-year facility master plan, laboratory services review, PET/CT case reviews and mentoring
- Development of a multidisciplinary cancer center
- Joint conferences on: patient safety, molecular biology, otolaryngology, clinical nutrition, ketogenic diet, cystic fibrosis
- Observerships: Sports Center, operating room, radiology, administrative, emergency, pediatrics, blood bank, otolaryngology, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, ketogenic diet and oncology
- Training: extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, radiology department (to integrate PET/CT), Service Excellence, infection control/infectious diseases
In 2009, Clínica Las Condes hosted the Johns Hopkins Medicine International Partners Forum.
Future programs include:
- Critical care performance improvement
- Joint pneumonia conference
Points of Pride
- First JCI-accredited hospital in Chile (2007)
- Clínica Las Condes and JHI, with technical assistance from the Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, are creating a multidisciplinary cancer center, which will be the first of its kind in Chile and the region
- Created an emergency transportation service (ambulance and helicopter), resulting in a significant increase in adult and pediatric admissions
- Improved safety and efficiency of several departments, including cardiology, gastroenterology, plastic surgery and obstetrics/gynecology
- Hosted the 2009 Johns Hopkins Medicine International Partners Forum
What Our Affiliate Says
"I would compare the benefits of being affiliated with Johns Hopkins Medicine International to the benefits that a team gets by having a great coach. The road to improvement and to achieving higher quality requires guidance. Hopkins guided us with the steps in getting JCI accreditation, for example. Now we can point our hospital to where it should be in 10 years."
— Alfredo Schonherr, chief executive officer, Clínica Las Condes