I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Johns Hopkins Summer Jobs Program Partnership
JHSJP – Engineering Innovation Collaboration - *This is a competitive placement*
The Johns Hopkins Summer Jobs Program is sponsored by Johns Hopkins University. The program provides Baltimore City Public Schools students the opportunity to complete a paid internship in one of numerous departments throughout the Institution. The program promotes exposure to careers and workplace culture, while providing an educational experience that includes mentoring and fosters personal responsibility.
The Johns Hopkins Summer Jobs Program (JHSJP) and Engineering Innovation (EI) are collaborating to provide opportunities for Baltimore City Public Schools students to participate in Engineering Innovation as their JHSJP placement.
Eligibility Requirements for EI-JHSJP:
- Baltimore City residents
- Baltimore City Public Schools students
- Students at least 15 years old by March 31st of the program year
- Good attendance throughout high school
Eligibility Requirements for Engineering Innovation:
- Have As and Bs in their high school math and science classes
- Successfully completed Algebra II
- Successfully completed a lab science course (Chemistry and/or Physics). Many students feel that knowledge of physics is particularly helpful for the course.
- Successfully completed a course where the trigonometric functions are taught. To meet the trigonometry prerequisite students, must be able to use the trigonometric functions and be comfortable applying the laws of sines and cosines to non-right angle triangles. If you learned to use the trigonometric functions in a course other than one called Trigonometry, you will select “Yes, as part of another course” and enter the course name when asked if you have taken Trigonometry on the online application.
Accepted students will:
- Attend Engineering FUNdamentals (June 17 – 21, 2019 – tentative) and Engineering Innovation (June 24 – July 19, 2019 – tentative) at the JHU Homewood campus as a commuter student
- Participate as a Johns Hopkins Summer Jobs Program intern following EI (July 22 – August 16, 2019 – tentative),
- Have the potential to receive college credit (if they earn an A or B in the course)
- Engage in exciting hands-on lab activities in the fields of chemical, electrical, mechanical, civil engineering, materials science, and robotics
- Create group projects and presentations, lab reports, take weekly quizzes, and a final exam
- Be paid for this academic exploration experience
- Be eligible for full or partial scholarship to help pay program tuition
There are a limited number of opportunities for Baltimore City Public Schools students to participate in Engineering Innovation through the Johns Hopkins Summer Jobs Program.
How To Apply
Before applying, please contact the Engineering Innovation Office at email@example.com to receive JHSJP-specific instructions for completing the application. In the email, please include your full name, school, and email address and that you are interested in EI-JHSJP. Please note that you must also complete an application for JHSJP.
December 15, 2018
- Engineering Innovation online application is available here.
January 7 – February 15, 2019
- Johns Hopkins Summer Jobs Program application is open. Students must apply to both EI and JHSJP to be considered for the program.
February 15, 2019
- Engineering Innovation application deadline for students interested in the EI-JHSJP partnership.
- EI-JHSJP interviews for first year students: March 9th.
- JHSJP interviews for returning students: March 11th and 12th.
- All participants in the JHSJP must complete a visit with the Johns Hopkins Occupational Health Office between March 20th and April 2nd.
March 27 – April 17, 2019
- All participants in the JHSJP must complete the I-9 hiring process.
May 14 – 25, 2019
- JHSJP Orientation sessions will be held.
June 17 – 21, 2019 – tentative
- Engineering FUNdamentals (dates tentative – will be finalized once the last day of school is announced)
- Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm on the JHU Homewood campus
June 24 – July 19, 2019 – tentative
- Engineering Innovation
- Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm.
- No class on July 4, 2018.
July 22 – August 16, 2019
- JHSJP placement in Whiting School of Engineering on the JHU Homewood campus.