I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Application Process (Adults)
The Adult Volunteer Program welcomes community members who are 18 years of age and older the opportunity to help improve the hospital experience for patients, their families, caregivers, and the hospital staff. Volunteers must be able to commit to a minimum of 100 hours of annual service and to one 4-hour shift per week.
- Submit an application.
- Interview with the Manager and/or Coordinator of Volunteer Services.
- Complete a volunteer packet:
- Background Check Form
- Volunteer Agreement
- Emergency Contact Form
- Three Personal References (not related to you)
- Obtain a Medical Clearance through the Hospital’s Occupational Health Office consisting of:
- Two PPD/TB (tuberculosis) skin tests done free of charge by OH (a 2-week process).
- Review of your Immunization Records. You must show proof that you have had 2 doses of Mumps, Measles, Rubella (MMR) and 2 doses of Varicella. Titers (blood work done at your own expense) showing the immunity levels for both MMR and Varicella are acceptable in lieu of vaccination records.
- Pass a urine drug screen (free of charge).
- Flu shot (required during flu season only).
- Attend volunteer orientation (3-hour session).
- Complete required online training.
- Acquire a photo ID Badge & uniform (once orientation & online training have been completed).
- Meet the supervisor for your service area and begin training.
Submit adult volunteer applications to:
Howard County General Hospital
5755 Cedar Lane
Columbia, MD 21044
Or scan and email (no pictures) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please call the Volunteer Services Office at 410-884-4580.
*** Please note that our volunteers provide services that are strictly comforting in nature and are not able to shadow nurses, doctors, and clinicians or to take vital signs or observe procedures. ***