Living a healthy lifestyle can decrease your risk of serious long-term health conditions from occurring and prevent existing condition from becoming more severe. Journey to Better Health offers community health events to help detect the onset of conditions, check existing conditions and teach self-management skills to prevent symptoms from worsening.
For more information, call 410-720-8788 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wellness Screening for Your Health
Prevent chronic conditions from occurring and existing conditions from worsening. Get checked, know your numbers and explore healthy living options. This event offers:
- Free screenings – prediabetes, high blood pressure and Body Mass Index
- Information on available workshops that address health risks
- Education on healthy lifestyle choices
- Informational sessions on healthy eating
As a registered participant you will receive email updates about informational sessions, including presenters and topics.
Register for this workshop if you live with or are at risk of having a chronic condition such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, obesity, depression, chronic pain, arthritis, lung disease and any other health concerns.
- Learn techniques to cope with feelings of frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation
- Develop skills to communicate more effectively with family, friends and health professionals
- Learn exercises to maintain and improve strength, flexibility and endurance
- Improve nutrition and develop healthy eating habits
Caregivers are also welcome to register.
Living Well with Diabetes
If you have Type 2 Diabetes or are have been told you are at risk for prediabetes, learn techniques for better managing your health to avoid serious health problems that can result from having diabetes.
- Explore techniques to deal with the symptoms of diabetes, fatigue, pain and hyper/hypoglycemia
- Understand how to manage emotional distress (e.g. depression, anger, fear and frustration)
- Learn exercises for maintaining and improving strength and endurance
- Discover healthy eating tips
- Learn to work more effectively with your health care providers
Mental Health First Aid
Someone you know could be experiencing a mental illness or crisis. You can help them. Learn a five-step action plan to offer initial help to people with the signs and symptoms of a mental illness or in a crisis, and connect them with the appropriate professional, peer, social or self-help care. Anyone can take this course - first responders, students, teachers, faith community leaders, human resources professionals and caring citizens.
If you are living with and/or have been affected by cancer, learn practical information and tools to manage your symptoms, challenges and day-to-day tasks in a small supportive group-setting. Topics include:
- Making decisions about treatment and complementary therapies
- Appropriate exercises for regaining and maintaining flexibility and endurance
- Dealing with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain, isolation, poor sleep and living with uncertainty
- Communicating effectively with family, friends and health professionals
- Setting priorities and relationships
Caregivers are also welcome to attend.