Our hospital uses the Community Health Improvement Guiding Principles developed by the Johns Hopkins Medicine Community Benefits Advisory Council to help guide our collective commitment and efforts. These principles are as follows:
- Partner with community leaders and community-based organizations that serve as stewards to guide and educate JHM to best serve the needs of each population.
- Integrate the interests, assets, and expertise of our health system, academic institutions, and the community to reach mutually agreed upon outcomes.
- Develop transparent approaches to plan, implement, evaluate, and disseminate sustainable health improvement programs and policy interventions.
In Fiscal Year 2019, our hospital partnered with the Howard County Health Department to conduct a community health needs assessment (CHNA) to identify the most important health issues in our community. In the same fiscal year, the Board of Trustees of the hospital approved our community health implementation strategy to address the health priorities identified through the CHNA.
As a result of the CHNA, our hospital identified the following health priorities:
- Access to Care: Increase access to care for Howard County residents.
- Behavioral Health (Mental Health and Addictions): Increase timely access to behavioral health services for residents of all ages.
- Healthy Aging: Improve the health of older adults living in Howard County and provide comprehensive care coordination for those with chronic conditions.
- Healthy Weight: Enable people of all ages and incomes to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Maternal and Infant Health: Improve disparities in prenatal care and birth outcomes for mothers and infants in Howard County.
Our hospital’s commitment to improving the health and well-being of our community will be demonstrated through the deliberate planning of community benefit activities. View the latest Howard County General Hospital Community Health Needs Assessment and Implementation Strategy.
If you have comments or questions, please contact us at 410-720-8796 or email HCGH-Strategy@jhmi.edu.