About the Program
To apply for the Student Nurse Extern / PCT Training Program please complete an online application. The position may be found under the Allied Health job category.
This is a program for student nurses who have successfully completed Fundamentals of Nursing with a patient care clinical component. At HCGH, we recognize your need for more experience with clinical skills. Our program allows you to apply skills learned in your nursing program and gain competency in phlebotomy and 12-lead EKG.
Students accepted into the program attend four weeks of classroom training, followed by work experience on a variety of units. In the summer program, students work full-time for ten weeks, which includes four weeks of training and six weeks of work on the clinical units. After this, you can become PRN staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform: Tracheostomy care, Ostomy care/dressing changes, Enemas, 12-lead EKG
- Takes/records vital signs
- Respiratory therapy treatments: Directed cough for sputum samples, Incentive spirometry, Pulse oximetry
- Document intake & output
- Specimen collection: urine, sputum
- Nasopharyngeal/oropharyngeal suction
- Assist with rehab treatments under supervision of OT/PT
- Assist with activities of daily living
- Provide comfort/safety measure/restraints
- Assist with personal hygiene: Bed baths/mouth care
- Assist with turning/positioning patients
- Identify potential emergencies & reports to RN immediately
- Assist with family/care team communication; reinforce patient teaching
- Report changes in patient status
- Perform blood glucose checks/records
After completion of the program, students work PRN as a PCT in the float department in order to retain the newly-acquired clinical skills. The PRN position requires the student to work one winter and summer holiday and three 12-hour shifts per schedule.
- 3.0 GPA (nursing classes) preferred
- Maryland Certified Nursing Assistant License
- Must attend entire program (M-F classroom training-8am-4:30pm for the first two weeks and a mix of 8 and 12 hour shifts during clinical training)
- Must be available the entire 10 week summer program
- Will work 12 hour days, nights and weekends during the summer training program
- On completion, must work PRN (see requirements above)
How to Apply
Apply online here by selecting job category "Allied Health / Clinical Professional" and clicking search.
- Resume: include education with GPA, clinical rotation experience, i.e. med/surg, OB, etc., school activities, volunteer/community affiliations, previous/current work experience
- Employment application
- Maryland Certified Nursing Assistant License (must have an active license on the MBON website)
- Current transcript
- Two evaluations/references from clinical instructors
Need Financial Aid to Finish Nursing School?
If you have a minimum grade point average of 3.0, you are eligible to apply for our nursing scholarship, which will assist you in the payment of tuition, books and fees for your last two critical years of nursing school. In return, you commit to work at HCGH for each year of reimbursement received. For more information, contact the Clinical Education Department at 410-740-7697.
Now that you have completed your final year of nursing school, we hope you will join our Nurse Residency Program for Newly Licensed RNs.