The Johns Hopkins Cardiac Rehabilitation and Clinical Exercise Physiology center offers comprehensive, medically supervised programs designed to teach people how to exercise safely and manage heart disease risk factors.
What to Expect During Your Rehabilitation
During your appointment, you will undergo a thorough evaluation of your health and current fitness level to determine an effective rehabilitation plan.
Your personalized cardiac rehabilitation program may consist of the following:
After an initial consultation visit, an individualized exercise prescription is designed for each participant. All exercise workouts are supervised by a clinical exercise physiologist. Feedback is provided to the participant's personal health care provider on a regular basis.
Participants can choose to exercise in a small group setting or have individualized personal training sessions.
We offer the following tests to evaluate your physical performance:
- Resting Metabolic Rate Analysis: This test determines how many calories you burn at rest. This information can determine how many daily calories are needed to lose weight, gain weight or increase muscle mass.
- Body Composition: We measure how much of your body is composed of fat and muscle in order to create an effective weight loss plan.
- V02 Max Testing: This endurance test measures the maximum amount of oxygen you can consume during your exercise, providing you with an accurate analysis of your current fitness.
These tests are only offered at the Green Spring Station location.
Our multidisciplinary team provides education about heart disease, specifically methods on how to stabilize or reverse heart disease by improving risk factors such as:
- Reducing or quitting smoking
- Lipid management
- Controlling high blood pressure
- Weight loss
- Diabetes management
- Increasing physical activity
At our Bayview location, we offer weight loss services and diet counseling from a registered dietitian.
Our Green Spring Station location features education resources and one-on-one sessions with exercise physiologists.
We provide a holistic approach to cardiac rehabilitation which includes improving the emotional well-being of our patients. Our rehabilitation centers creates a safe space for patients to exercise and have access to counseling services.
Our Bayview location offers clinical exercise for patients who aren't covered by insurance or may feel more comfortable exercising in a clinical environment.
Phase III cardiac rehabilitation and clinical exercise don't require monitoring after completion of phase II or for patients that didn't experience a cardiac event.
Services by Location
We offer a range of services at both of our Baltimore area locations.
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Phase II and III
- Diet counseling
Green Spring Station
- Cardiac rehabilitation phase II and III
Resting metabolic rate analysis testing(suspended at this time) VO2 max testing(suspended at this time) Body composition testing(suspended at this time) Weight loss services(suspended at this time)
Our clinic offers weight loss and human performance services to help you reach your health goals.
For certain heart conditions, exercise can be as powerful as some medications.
- Johns Hopkins expert Kerry Stewart, Ed.D.