I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Ciccarone Center Research
View by Topic
- Antiplatelet Therapy
- ASCVD (Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease)
- Blood Pressure
- Cardiac CT
- Cardiovascular Risk Assessment
- Carotid Atherosclerosis
- Cerebrovascular Disease / Stroke / Cognitive Function
- Cholesterol / Lipids / Statins
- Cigarette Smoking
- Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome
- Diet & Weight
- Disparities in Care
- Emotional Health
- Endothelial Function
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Exercise and Physical Fitness
- Family History of CVD
- Gender / Cardiovascular Disease in Women
- Heart Failure
- Heart Rate
- Markers of Thrombosis, Myocardial Injury, Wall Stress
- Mobile Health
- Nutrition, Vitamins, Supplements
- PVD – Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Quality of Care
- Renal Disease
- Rheumatoid Arthritis & Collagen Vascular Diseases
- Sleep Disorders
- Stem Cells
- Subclinical Atherosclerosis
- Vascular Imaging
- Vascular Stiffness
View by Journal
- American Heart Journal
- American Journal of Cardiology
- American Journal of Epidemiology
- American Journal of Hypertension
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis & Vascular Biology
- British Medical Journal
- Clinical Cardiology
- Diabetes Care
- European Heart Journal
- European Journal of Preventive Cardiology
- International Journal of Cardiology
- Journal of Hypertension
- Journal of the American College of Cardiology
- Journal of the American Heart Association
- Journal of the American Medical Association
- Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- New England Journal of Medicine
- PLoS One
View by Year
- Meet the Authors
Disparities in Care
Creating a transdisciplinary research center to reduce cardiovascular health disparities in Baltimore, Maryland: Lessons learned.
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) disparities continue to have a negative impact on African Americans in the United States, largely because of uncontrolled hypertension. Despite the availability of evidence-based interventions, their use has not been translated into clinical and public health practice. The Johns Hopkins Center to Eliminate Cardiovascular Health Disparities is a new transdisciplinary research program with a stated goal to lower the impact of CVD disparities on vulnerable populations in Baltimore, Maryland. By targeting multiple levels of influence on the core problem of disparities in Baltimore, the center leverages academic, community, and national partnerships and a novel structure to support 3 research studies and to train the next generation of CVD researchers. We also share the early lessons learned in the center's design.
Methods for estimation of disparities in medication use in an observational cohort study: results from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.
Evaluating disparities in health care is an important aspect of understanding differences in disease risk. The purpose of this study is to describe the methodology for estimating such disparities, to provide improved disparity estimation in a large multi-ethnic cohort study.
Metabolic syndrome risk profiles among African-American adolescents: national health and nutrition examination survey, 2003-2010.
Although African American adolescents have the highest prevalence of obesity, they have the lowest prevalence of metabolic syndrome across all definitions used in previous research. To address this paradox, we sought to develop a model of the metabolic syndrome specific to African American adolescents. Our findings provide a plausible model of the metabolic syndrome specific to African American adolescents. Based on this model, approximately 19 and 16% of African American boys and girls, respectively, are at high risk for having the metabolic syndrome.