The Johns Hopkins Lipid Program
Our center provides specialized treatment for patients diagnosed with cholesterol disorders to prevent cardiovascular disease and pancreatitis.
Cholesterol and Your Body
Cholesterol is a natural component in everyone’s blood. Cholesterol and other fats are carried in your bloodstream as spherical particles called lipoproteins. The most commonly known lipoprotein is low-density lipoprotein (LDL).
High cholesterol levels may pose serious risks. Patients with cholesterol imbalance should be seen by lipid experts for proper assessment and treatment.
Patients diagnosed with genetic lipid disorders
- Familial hypercholesterolemia
- Familial combined hyperlipidemia
- Familial hypertriglyceridemia
- High lipoprotein(a)
Patients diagnosed with lipid disorders
- Statin intolerance
- Severe hypertriglyceridemia
- Disorders of HDL cholesterol
- Lipid disorders associated with kidney and/or liver disease
The Johns Hopkins Lipid Program collaborates with dieticians, genetic counselors, and our specialty pharmacy to provide quality care for our patients. Our program provides the following diagnostic and clinical treatment services:
- Personalized lipid testing
- Screening for genetic lipid disorders
- Education and counseling related to nutrition
- Weight management
- Smoking cessation
- Blood pressure control
Our program provides health counseling and medication to treat lipid disorders. We may prescribe the following medications/treatments:
- Lifestyle modification
- PCSK9 inhibitors
- Bile acid sequestrants
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- MCT oil
We do not provide treatment samples or sample medications. Therefore, for certain medications (such as PCSK9 inhibitors), a process of insurance approval can be necessary before starting treatment.
No, fasting is not required.
The actual visit is typically covered by most insurance carriers. However, patients may be billed for facility charges or individual tests.
Some insurance companies require a referral form to see our specialists. Please refer to your individual insurance policy for more information.
The clinic is open every Tuesday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Meet our multidisciplinary team of specialists that provide comprehensive treatment for lipid disorders.
- Seth Shay Martin, M.D., M.H.S. - Director
- Steven Richard Jones, M.D. - Physician
- Thorsten Martin Leucker, M.D., Ph.D. - Physician
- Stacey L. Schott, M.D., M.P.H. - Physician
- Erin Michos, M.D., M.H.S. - Physician
- Marios Arvanitis, M.D. - Cardiovascular Fellow
- Francoise Marvel, M.D. - Cardiovascular Fellow
- Kathleen Byrne, CRNP - Nurse Practitioner
- Isatu Isuk, R.D., L.D.N. - Dietitian
- Emily Brown, M.G.C., C.G.C. - Genetic Counselor
- Sam Houmes - Specialty Pharmacist
- Sarah Lewis - Program Coordinator
- Grace Lee - Medical Office Coordinator
- Jenn Quinn - Prior Authorization Specialist