Sheikh Zayed Tower provides the Johns Hopkins staff with amenities and benefits that have a positive effect on staff morale. Our staff carries this over to patient and family care. Benefits include:
- Co-location and easy collaboration between cardiac and vascular staff ensures better care to all patients.
- Functioning under the “clean core” concept, the operating rooms are connected with a staff-only, semi-sterile environment, and supplies are stored in a separate environment.
- Large staff work spaces, with separate conference rooms, break rooms and on-call rooms
- Computer workstations located between patient rooms, allowing staff to be close and available to patients
- Smooth flow patterns for the Heart Attack Team, including dedicated elevators from the Emergency Department. This ensures that the critical "door-to-balloon time" for heart attack patients is as short as possible.
- A dedicated team of cardiac surgery physicians assigned to the Cardiovascular Surgical Intensive Care Unit (CVSICU), developing relationships with surgeons and providing extraordinary care to patients. The entire Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute operates under this advanced ICU model.
- Access to patients for voluntary research opportunities and collaboration on research ideas due to combined cardiac and vascular units
- Excellent training for research fellows with access to patient volunteers in fully accredited laboratories
- Research located within the same building as patient care, continuing the “bench-to-bedside” model of care invented at Johns Hopkins to make it one of the leading hospitals in the world
“We now have the facilities that match the high quality of the staff.” —Dr. Hugh Calkins, director of the Electrophysiology Laboratory