I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
About the Heart & Vascular Institute
For generations, people with serious heart problems have turned to Johns Hopkins physicians for help. Recognized worldwide, the Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute provides comprehensive care of the highest quality, ensuring that patients receive the most advanced treatments known to medicine.
In the Sheikh Zayed Tower at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, specialists in every branch of cardiac care – cardiology, cardiac surgery, vascular medicine, and radiology – work collaboratively in a hospital setting designed to foster innovative treatments and accelerate the science of medicine.
At the Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute, cardiac specialists swiftly translate laboratory discoveries into new treatments, with the ultimate goal of saving more lives from heart disease, the leading cause of death in the United States.
Heart and Vascular Institute Highlights
- First successful “blue baby operation” in the world to correct congenital heart defects.
- Performed the world’s first human implantation of the automatic implantable defibrillator.
- World’s longest experience with surgery for Marfan aortic disease.
- The first domino heart transplant procedure in the United States.
Groundbreaking Activities at Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins has been the first hospital in Maryland to perform the following specialized operations:
- heart transplantation
- heterotopic heart transplantation
- heart-lung transplantation
- bilateral lung transplantation
- pediatric lung transplantation
- lobar lung transplantation
- ventricular assist device implantation
- ventricular assist device implantation as destination therapy
- adult extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
- robot-assisted cardiac operation
- robotic thymectomy
- robotic lobectomy
- percutaneous valve replacement