I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Conditions We Treat: Overactive Bladder
Overactive bladder is the inability to control the urge to urinate. If you’re suffering from an overactive bladder, you may not be able to control your urge to frequently urinate, both day and night.
Overactive Bladder: What You Need to Know
- Women are more likely than men to have an overactive bladder.
- Overactive bladder happens when the muscle in the wall of the bladder that pushes urine out squeezes when you are not ready.
- Overactive bladder can cause leaking urine, also called urinary incontinence.
- Signs and symptoms are the frequent urge to urinate, a feeling of incomplete urination even after you've gone to the bathroom and leaking urine when you have the urge to urinate.
- Tests for overactive bladder include a pelvic exam and urodynamics, a group of tests to evaluate bladder function.
Why choose Johns Hopkins for treatment of overactive bladder?
At Johns Hopkins, our goal is to choose the least invasive, most effective options, including behavior and lifestyle changes, injection therapy and medications. Our specialists also have expertise in minimally invasive procedures.
We offer access to cutting-edge treatment, techniques and tools, including:
- Bladder training
- Nerve stimulation — mild electrical pulses sent to nerves in the lower back to help manage bowel function
- Injection therapies
- Minimally invasive surgery
Learn more about treatments for pelvic floor disorders at Johns Hopkins.
Our Patient Care
Our team of pelvic health experts is experienced in treating the full range of pelvic floor disorders, including overactive bladder. Their goal is to provide patients with personalized, compassionate care while offering advanced, effective treatments.
With convenient locations throughout the Baltimore metropolitan area, we make it easy for you to seek the care and treatment you need to manage your overactive bladder.
View all of our locations.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.